Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Blink chargers - billed after done charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question about blink charging with the model S. I'm out in Sam Diego this weekend and looking for places to charge.

- if my car finishes charging will blink keep billing me? If so, can I stop charging on the mobile app to stop the billing but still be connected?

The Blink folks charge by connect time, not by charging time. They want to encourage you to move your car when done so others can use the charging stations...

There are some free stations as well around town....If you tell me where you are going to be (part of town), I can recommend some good places to charge...

The Blink folks charge by connect time, not by charging time. They want to encourage you to move your car when done so others can use the charging stations...

There are some free stations as well around town....If you tell me where you are going to be (part of town), I can recommend some good places to charge...

I'm staying about a mile from the UTC tesla showroom at a friends apt complex. If you know of any good spots around there, please let me know.

Here's some ideas for charging stations nearby...

Scripps Memorial Encinitas 353 Santa Fe Drive, Solana Beach (Eaton & CC) - 3 units (free)
Scripps Green Hospital / Anderson Pavillion 10666 N. Torrey Pines Rd (2nd level) - 1 Clipper Creek unit (pay to park - not sure about Saturday but Sunday is free to park, free charging)
Claire's on Cedros Restaurant 246 North Cedros Avenue (Solana Beach) - 2 Blink units
Costa Verde 8650 Genesee (University City across street to the west from UTC) - 3 Blink units
Del Mar Public Access TV Studio 240 10th (Del Mar) - 2 Blink units
Encinitas 600 S Vulcan (Encinitas) - 2 Blink units
High Bluff I Office Building 12544 High Bluff Dr (Del Mar) - 2 Blink units
Salk Institute 10010 N. Torrey Pines (Torrey Pines) - 4 Blink units (can walk to Torrey Pines Glider port)
Solana Beach City Hall 635 So. Hwy 101 (Solana Beach) - 3 Blink units (can walk to get something to eat)

Hey Gaswalla,
When I charged at Sony Online Entertainment a few months ago, it was the Standard $1.00 per hour Blink charge, but the units were really for their workplace (in their mind), as the Security guard came out and ran me off the place...They don't seem to be on the Blink map today? Did you have a different experience?

I'm staying about a mile from the UTC tesla showroom at a friends apt complex. If you know of any good spots around there, please let me know.
Where exactly?

1. Tesla store at UTC: Don't know what the protocol is to charge up there, or where exactly the HPC is located. But if you can do it, it will be free. You'll also be able to charge at 70A if you have twin-chargers, so will be much faster than charging on a standard J1772.
2. Costa Verde: Blink, biggest issue is that stations are sometimes ICEd.

Make sure you sign up for a Blink membership, membership is free until the end of the year. Doesn't cost anything right now, but you'll charge cheaper ($1/hr instead of $1.50/hr or $2/hr) so you won't feel so bad if the car finishes charging and you can't get back to it for a few hours.

Hey Gaswalla,
When I charged at Sony Online Entertainment a few months ago, it was the Standard $1.00 per hour Blink charge, but the units were really for their workplace (in their mind), as the Security guard came out and ran me off the place...They don't seem to be on the Blink map today? Did you have a different experience?

it was free, and no one seemed to care... it's my car's picture on plugshare.

Where exactly?

1. Tesla store at UTC: Don't know what the protocol is to charge up there, or where exactly the HPC is located. But if you can do it, it will be free. You'll also be able to charge at 70A if you have twin-chargers, so will be much faster than charging on a standard J1772.
2. Costa Verde: Blink, biggest issue is that stations are sometimes ICEd.

Make sure you sign up for a Blink membership, membership is free until the end of the year. Doesn't cost anything right now, but you'll charge cheaper ($1/hr instead of $1.50/hr or $2/hr) so you won't feel so bad if the car finishes charging and you can't get back to it for a few hours.

I called ahead to tesla utc and they said I could charge for a few hours. So this is/was a backup plan because the tesla store may get really packed and they would have to limit my charge time to 2 hours if another car came in. Fortunately, my car has been charging for 4 hours and I have enough charge to get back to Hawthorne supercharger on Monday.

Thanks for all the responses!