Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Brake Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about the break lights. Because of the strong regenerative break limits the need to use the actual break pedal (aka 1 pedal driving) does anyone have a link to detailed info on when/how exactly the taillights light up to indicate to other drivers that you are slowing down? I ask because my wife had to drop her ICE off at the dealership for an inspection recently and i drove over separately to give her a ride home (no loaner cars available). She followed me on the way to the dealership and mentioned that my "break lights" didnt come one very often and she thought it might cause me to get rear ended. is there a setting im missing? does anyone have any info on this? i thought that the car was set to have the break lights light up when slowing down via regen breaking but i cant remember being behind another model 3 and seeing the break lights light up.

FYI i have a 2021 M3 LR

*brake*, not *break*

The car symbol on the display will light its light brake when regenerating braking strong enough is applied. It's not easy to see though, specially when driving. But, when it's dark, in my car at least, the elevated brake light in the bottom on the rear window will bleed some light and is an easy tell when the brake light turns on.

Upvote 0
*brake*, not *break*

The car symbol on the display will light its light brake when regenerating braking strong enough is applied. It's not easy to see though, specially when driving. But, when it's dark, in my car at least, the elevated brake light in the bottom on the rear window will bleed some light and is an easy tell when the brake light turns on.

(moderator note)

Corrected thread title from break to brake.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
*brake*, not *break*

That thing is near impossible to see in my case. I think it doesn't help that my car is red

Upvote 0
To answer the question about *when* the brake lights come on...
The car turns on the brake lights when it is decelerating quicker than some amount. I forget the amount but it's around 0.1/0.2g's. So full regen will trigger it, but partial regen (foot still on the throttle some) may not. This is pretty common in all EV's.
It also turns on when the brake pedal is actually pushed (via driver or any of the assistance features).

Reactions: tm1v2 and Big Earl
Upvote 0
I have a 2022 Model Y-LR and I have never seen the brake lights on the screen avatar of the car.
Tesla is constantly changing everything about the car via software. Updates in the last few months have highly reduces when/where you can see this on screen, so if you have a '22 you probably never had the chance to see it. I believe the only time now is when you are are higher speeds and the car is showing the high behind view. It doesn't work at low speeds or stopped. So you know, it only shows it to you when you shouldn't be looking.

Upvote 0
I was just noticing this myself at night. Does anyone feel that it's not sensitive enough? I have come to a complete stop at a light without triggering my brake light at all until I was almost fully stopped. I see a high occurrence of Tesla's being rear ended on forums and I'm wondering if this is due to the regen and brake light behavior? It doesn't feel any worse than when I drive my manual mini but I can tap the break with the mini and not further increase deceleration like I would if I take my foot completely off of the gas pedal on the M3. People really don't pay attention anymore while driving so they need all the help they can get. Heck today an obvious line of cars were slowing down on an offramp and still some lady behind me had to leave the lane on to the shoulder to avoid rear ending me.

Upvote 0