Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about brakes on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have done a ton of searching and found a few threads, but nothing has really answered my question around what I am seeing on my Model 3's brakes.

Can anyone tell me why there is a rim and ridge forming around each of the rotors? Ignore the rust in the center portion of the rotor as I am aware that is just surface rust and comes off after driving. The edge of the rotor (top of the rotor in each photo) is the part that remains and even after a few heavy braking runs refuses to go away... it almost seems like the pads don't contact that area.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Ah ok. Yes yearly as per Tesla but as I understand it, that only removes rust/lubricates the pins and does nothing for the rotors.

Ok well it sounds like it’s a fairly common problem. The lip I find weird as I haven’t had this on any previous cars. Yes the brakes get used more but to your point, the pads don’t touch this area.

So just an update here. I think the issue has gotten worse over the past 6-7 months. Has nobody else seen this on their cars? I understand the brakes don't get used much but I have been making a conscious effort to use my brakes more (flipping to low regen) and this continues to happen and get worse.

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

IMG_0200.jpeg

It's possible yes but basically every time I do take the car out I am putting the car into low regen and ensuring I use the brakes. My car sits for maximum 3-5 days before it moves due to COVID and WFH. I imagine there are other owners who don't move their car daily and live in salt regions but so far I am unable to find anyone else reporting this sort of issue.