Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about buying a charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, super excited about placing an order for a 3 model on September 1st and will enjoy this forum and all the threads. Quick question, I keep hearing that I can buy a cheaper version of charger (using a nema 14-50) instead of the Tesla gen 3 charger for $780. Is it worth it or too much hassle? I do have 3 phase power in my electricity box from our solar panels. I just need some details to tell my sparky as he will either install the cheaper option (if recommended) or tesla 3 charger. If anyone has any Australian clips to watch that would be great as well. I just worry all the YouTube clips I see are US.

Any type 2 charger will work with your model 3. If you work from home and want to take advantage of your solar, look at the zappi charger. It will use your excess solar and pump it in to your car.

Gen 3 charger does have WiFi, although useless now it can be updated in the future to coordinate with a Powerwall or whatever Elon thinks of next.

edit- NEMA are USA standards, not used in Australia. You want to be looking at type 2 chargers

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Any type 2 charger will work with your model 3. If you work from home and want to take advantage of your solar, look at the zappi charger. It will use your excess solar and pump it in to your car.

Gen 3 charger does have WiFi, although useless now it can be updated in the future to coordinate with a Powerwall or whatever Elon thinks of next.

edit- NEMA are USA standards, not used in Australia. You want to be looking at type 2 chargers
The Zappie charger is definately good for automating the skimming of excess solar, but its also a lot more expensive than any tesla option.

The Tesla-supplied UMC can work with lots of high powered setups. You can get tails that will plug into several of the round outlets. And the UMC already comes with tails for a 10 amp GPO & a 15 amp GPO. I drive Uber in my SR+ and even I can manage just fine on 15 amps (which Tesla limits to 12 amps & adds 5% per hour plugged in). As an ordinary commuter I'd do just fine on 10 amps (which Tesla limits to 8 amps & adds 3% per hour plugged in).

Ignore everything you hear from the US. Different electrical standards. Different plug standards both on the grid side (NEMA) and the car side (Tesla plug with supplied J1772 adapter there, vs the bog-standard Type 2 plug here). Their standard household 120V 15A outlet delivers 3/4 what our standard 240V 10A outlet delivers. And when you hear an American EV owner salivate about 240V, they're talking about a lot more than our 10 amps. A NEMA 14-50 is notionally 240V 50A - an entirely different ball game to what you see here (though Tesla limits it to 40 amps per US code). It's kinda funny that we inherited the states' limit of 80% when drawing continuous load - something that just isn't required here, but Tesla limited us anyway, probably by accident. It might be fixed in software one day.

All you need to care about here is that your car has a Type 2 (Mennekes) plug. Your supplied universal mobile connector (UMC) will happily convert many kinds of plug standards to Type 2. And even a bog-standard household outlet is fine you spend 10 hours asleep/otherwise at home & don't exceed 100ish kilometres of driving more than 2 days in a row. Worry about fancy plugs and/or wall connectors later.

Worry about fancy plugs and/or wall connectors later.
Demaw - ^ that is the best advice.
You'll have a steep learning curve after you take delivery - tTake your time and enjoy every step of the journey.
The Gen2 Mobile Charger will be your best friend while you work out your travelling needs and charging patterns, and then if you need a higher overnight charging rate there are Gen2 adaptors available that will connect you to single or 3phase 20A and 32A sockets (note you'll only draw single phase from 3phase outlets), giving you up to 7kW. Enough to fill your Model 3 battery overnight.

Then if that doesn't satisfy your need for speed, by all means go down the wall charger rabbit hole....

It's kinda funny that we inherited the states' limit of 80% when drawing continuous load - something that just isn't required here, but Tesla limited us anyway, probably by accident. It might be fixed in software one day.
One of the recent updates has actually fixed that in software (the car sends an update to the UMC) - but only for those with tails marked "10A" and "15A" rather than "8A" and "12A", which appeared in UMCs with cars shipped from sometime in March this year.

Some good advice above already.

If you have 3 phase, get a 5 Pin Outlet installed and a 15A GPO. Buy the tail for the Tesla UMC (Granny Cable) from about $155.

Couldn't find the cheapest link, but someone else may have it bookmarked. Take this as an example

How you charge may depend on how you buy your power. If you have the Powershop EV plan you might want to draw as much as you can in the super off peak rate 12am-4am. 7.2kW on a single phase might be enough. Otherwise 11kW on three phase can be had with the other options mentioned (HPWC, Zappi etc.)

Some good advice above already.

If you have 3 phase, get a 5 Pin Outlet installed and a 15A GPO. Buy the tail for the Tesla UMC (Granny Cable) from about $155.

Couldn't find the cheapest link, but someone else may have it bookmarked. Take this as an example

This one delivered for around $109 depending on the exchange rate (USD $79).

• Helpful
Reactions: Nobody Famous

I have one Zappi for my outlander PHEV and have just received but not yet installed a second one for the Tesla. They are grea, and give you lots of flexibility in deciding what gets priority. (Eg which car or house battery etc) Also has various modes to either just use excess solar, fast charge, timed charge etc. love them.

Reactions: paulp
Thanks guys, did any of you install mud flaps and I hear some people get a protective protection paint/film put on the front of the Tesla for bugs and chips etc. I'm about an hour away from Sydney if anyone thinks it is worth it and if they had a price too?