Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about buying a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Suii

Nov 11, 2014
USA
I see a lot of people mentioning that they are going to trade in their current car to wipe out the sales tax or are buying a temporary ICE car and then later will be buying a new Tesla and trade in their current car.

Forgive me but is there an advantage I am not privy to when trading in a car to purchase a new Tesla? It seems that when we buy a new car we put a deposit and then pay the remainder when we take delivery so what am I missing? Thanks for all the help.

Depending on the state you are in and the value of your current car it could be beneficial to reduce the sales tax. In Florida: 6% Sales tax on $100k= $6000. If you trade in your $40,000 car, you only pay sales tax on the difference, 6% on $60,000 = $3600.

Something to keep in mind when you consider that they may offer you less for a trade in than you could get selling private party, you also have the added tax savings.

In NJ there is no sales tax on zero emissions vehicles. It's a cost benefit (rebate of sorts) not clearly defined on the website. I suspect there are other states that may do the same, and it probably will not last forever. Along the same lines there probably will be at some point a system to collect taxes for miles driven because with the Tesla one does not pay fuel taxes that (are suppose) to be used for road infrastructure maintenance.

Is there a list of states that do this? (Charge Sales tax on the difference only)?

I presume California is not on this list
See my previous post on this topic:
Preventing another Michigan-- Pushing back against dealers
Only 4 states besides California charge sales tax on the full purchase price when there is a trade-in. The other states with sales tax have this gimmick which gives dealers extra profit on trade-ins.