Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about car during the process of a software update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the clock on our Model S, this will be our second software update since ownership, but first one just happened while we slept. I hit update now and walked away. Came back 20 min later to check on the status in the garage, lights flashed a few times while I was there, I heard what sounded like AC system checking itself. Main screen was black and screen behind steering wheel just showed current state of charge in the new graphic seen in 8.0 with a warning saying "Software update required, contact Tesla". Touched main screen, it came on with "update complete, checking systems". I thought sweet, it's finishing and walked away.

Fast forward, 15 min later and I walk up to car, handles present, no AC, no radio, both screens black and non responsive. Did update hang up? Or is it still system testing and screens stay black for a period of that time. Still haven't received update complete notification from the Tesla app like I did on first update. Just don't want the car dead in the water tomorrow morning.

So I got the clock on our Model S, this will be our second software update since ownership, but first one just happened while we slept. I hit update now and walked away. Came back 20 min later to check on the status in the garage, lights flashed a few times while I was there, I heard what sounded like AC system checking itself. Main screen was black and screen behind steering wheel just showed current state of charge in the new graphic seen in 8.0 with a warning saying "Software update required, contact Tesla". Touched main screen, it came on with "update complete, checking systems". I thought sweet, it's finishing and walked away.

Fast forward, 15 min later and I walk up to car, handles present, no AC, no radio, both screens black and non responsive. Did update hang up? Or is it still system testing and screens stay black for a period of that time. Still haven't received update complete notification from the Tesla app like I did on first update. Just don't want the car dead in the water tomorrow morning.
The update takes about 1 hour 10 minutes. If yours is much longer than that and you don't get the what's new release notes on the main screen call Tesla.

Reactions: BigAirHarper
Right, minor updates take 20-30 minutes, medium updates 40 minutes, and big updates can take the whole 1hr40m that it claims. During which time, sometimes your car will respond to the app, other times not. Sometimes the lights will flash, parking brake will actuate, etc etc etc. All normal :)

You'll get a dreaded "Software Update Failed" push notification if something awful happens ;-)

Right, minor updates take 20-30 minutes, medium updates 40 minutes, and big updates can take the whole 1hr40m that it claims. During which time, sometimes your car will respond to the app, other times not. Sometimes the lights will flash, parking brake will actuate, etc etc etc. All normal :)

You'll get a dreaded "Software Update Failed" push notification if something awful happens ;-)
The Parking brake will Actuate ???? I find that hard to believe. So you can't be parked on a hill during an update, lol

The Parking brake will Actuate ???? I find that hard to believe. So you can't be parked on a hill during an update, lol
Perhaps it's just a test run of the servo... but you hear sounds similar to the one when the parking brake sets or clears.

The manual doesn't say anything about rollaway risk when updating so I presume it's still holding the car in place.