TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about car during the process of a software update...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BigAirHarper, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

So I got the clock on our Model S, this will be our second software update since ownership, but first one just happened while we slept. I hit update now and walked away. Came back 20 min later to check on the status in the garage, lights flashed a few times while I was there, I heard what sounded like AC system checking itself. Main screen was black and screen behind steering wheel just showed current state of charge in the new graphic seen in 8.0 with a warning saying "Software update required, contact Tesla". Touched main screen, it came on with "update complete, checking systems". I thought sweet, it's finishing and walked away.

Fast forward, 15 min later and I walk up to car, handles present, no AC, no radio, both screens black and non responsive. Did update hang up? Or is it still system testing and screens stay black for a period of that time. Still haven't received update complete notification from the Tesla app like I did on first update. Just don't want the car dead in the water tomorrow morning.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

The update takes about 1 hour 10 minutes. If yours is much longer than that and you don't get the what's new release notes on the main screen call Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. chillaban

chillaban Member

Right, minor updates take 20-30 minutes, medium updates 40 minutes, and big updates can take the whole 1hr40m that it claims. During which time, sometimes your car will respond to the app, other times not. Sometimes the lights will flash, parking brake will actuate, etc etc etc. All normal :)

You'll get a dreaded "Software Update Failed" push notification if something awful happens ;-)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Don't try to check on the status. In fact, don't go near the car. Let the update start whike you're sleeping as its set to by default.

5. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Yea I learned that lesson. I'm just going to always let it do its thing overnight, I don't want to risk messing the car up.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Car was perfect this AM when I woke up. Now time to figure out 8.0!

6. GJ79

GJ79 Member

The Parking brake will Actuate ???? I find that hard to believe. So you can't be parked on a hill during an update, lol

7. chillaban

chillaban Member

Perhaps it's just a test run of the servo... but you hear sounds similar to the one when the parking brake sets or clears.

The manual doesn't say anything about rollaway risk when updating so I presume it's still holding the car in place.