Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question About changing out wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, new to thread, just ordered my Model Y, to be delivered in January :). I currently have the standard 19' wheels ordered because I feel I could get much nicer ones for 2,000 after market.

I was wondering if anyone has experience changing the wheels and tires out for aftermarket styles. Is it easy and do all the sensors change over easily. Or does Tesla have some special "tesla only" tires and wheels that work with certain things of the car? Probably a stupid question but I got to ask before I order some wheels.

Also does anyone have any pictures of a model Y with 22' wheels?

I appreciate the help,
Aloha,
Shayne

The sensors will swap over.
Are you aware the wheels/tires can have a meaningful impact on range?
Any change you make is likely to hurt range, the stock wheels are very aerodynamic and the tires chosen to be very low rolling resistance.
Long as you know that , great, do as you wish. Just don't want you surprised.

OP is from Hawaii so I don't think max range is going to be *too* important since most long trips will probably be under 2 hours maybe 100-120 miles?

I found this off Instagram. I've seen it posted a few times and the owner mentioned they're 22".
upload_2020-11-28_12-43-3.png

The sensors will swap over.
Are you aware the wheels/tires can have a meaningful impact on range?
Any change you make is likely to hurt range, the stock wheels are very aerodynamic and the tires chosen to be very low rolling resistance.
Long as you know that , great, do as you wish. Just don't want you surprised.

I appreciate this information, it is something I am not aware of, but yes I am from Hawaii so the most driving that will be done without charging is no more than 50miles. I was more concerned with bolt pattern or anything.