Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about charging levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my question regarding charging levels. If one knows your Tesla (Model 3 LR) is going to be used for several days of driving back and forth to work (In this case 60 miles round trip daily over 4 days) Is it better to charge up to 100% or the recommended 80%?

Any harm in planning ahead for a week of driving a total of 240 miles at 100% charge?

Here's my question regarding charging levels. If one knows your Tesla (Model 3 LR) is going to be used for several days of driving back and forth to work (In this case 60 miles round trip daily over 4 days) Is it better to charge up to 100% or the recommended 80%?

Any harm in planning ahead for a week of driving a total of 240 miles at 100% charge?

Since you are "driving back and forth", and there is absolutely, positively, 100% NO BENEFIT to "running it down to charge it back up, is there some reason why you cant charge it either at home or at work daily? while you could charge it to 100% if you want to, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do so for "60 mile round trip daily" when you can charge at one of the two locations.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Regaj
Since you are "driving back and forth", and there is absolutely, positively, 100% NO BENEFIT to "running it down to charge it back up, is there some reason why you cant charge it either at home or at work daily? while you could charge it to 100% if you want to, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do so for "60 mile round trip daily" when you can charge at one of the two locations.
Thank you for your time and response. My question is in part of an ongoing discussion with "the boss" about charging her Tesla.

My daily commute is 206 miles round trip with no at-work charging. For three seasons I schedule-charge at home to 100% just before leaving and get home with 14-17% left (2019 M3 AWD LR). In cold weather I also precondition and return home with 4-7% left. In super cold weather like last week I can’t make the return home without a 5-minute supercharger stop midway home to get the couple of added percent needed to get home.

Any work from home day or weekend is just the normal 90% charge unless road tripping.

70%

For an NCA battery car, it may be better for battery health during the four days of 60 mile driving to charge to 55% each day. The 60 mile daily drive will probably use 15-25% of the charge in an LR battery, so you will get home at 30-40%, which should be enough against range anxiety.

You may also want to set the car to finish charging just before you leave, so that when you do charge to 100% or other higher state of charge, it will not be parked for very long at the high state of charge before you use some of it by driving.

I got a question about my preset charging % resetting to 80%.

So up until a week or two ago(might be related to the latest update 2022.40.30) I was able to set the car to charge to any % , let say for example 70%. I charge at L2 at home and the car would charge to the preset % (+- 1-2%). For the past week or two no matter what % I set it to it would charge to 80%. I've tried adjusting the % from the screen and both phones that are connected to the car but it still does it. One time, I checked the charging in the middle of the night and it showed 15min left to complete the charging to my set %. When I woke up in the morning and checked it it was again charged to 80%. I've reset the car with the 2 scroll wheels and rebooted both phones but still does it. 🤷‍♂️ Any ideas??

Do you and "the boss" have home charging? If so, there is no need to change your charging routine. Charging to 80% will provide more than enough energy to complete a 60-mile round trip. When you get home, charging it back up to 80% and repeat as many times as necessary.

If you only have 120 volt charging at home, charging to 100% over the weekend might help you avoid a Supercharger stop in the middle of the week. That said, a quick 10-minute stop at a Supercharger is hardly an inconvenience.

Reactions: OldPro