Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about cQuartz Finest and swirls on my model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just spoke with the second detailer, and he admitted that he polished off the cQuartz. He reiterated quite plainly that he is not a fan of ceramic coatings in general, and he does not see much of a point to them. What made me the most upset though was before I asked him to wash the car, I told him about the coating, and asked if he would be able to work around it and not damage it. He assured me that he would-and then without telling me he polished it off the car. I asked if he would compensate or reimburse to have the coating reapplied, to which he said no. Most that he could do was give me a couple of wash and waxes for free.

So while I am pretty upset, there is not much else I can do. I don't really want to go back to the second guy despite his offer of washes and waxes, and I can't spend another thousand dollars for coating. Guess I'll just live with it. I still love my car.

So I just spoke with the second detailer, and he admitted that he polished off the cQuartz. He reiterated quite plainly that he is not a fan of ceramic coatings in general, and he does not see much of a point to them. What made me the most upset though was before I asked him to wash the car, I told him about the coating, and asked if he would be able to work around it and not damage it. He assured me that he would-and then without telling me he polished it off the car. I asked if he would compensate or reimburse to have the coating reapplied, to which he said no. Most that he could do was give me a couple of wash and waxes for free.

So while I am pretty upset, there is not much else I can do. I don't really want to go back to the second guy despite his offer of washes and waxes, and I can't spend another thousand dollars for coating. Guess I'll just live with it. I still love my car.

Why on earth would he polish the car if you were only paying for a wash? Seems like he deserves to have his Yelp page trashed, at a minimum. You might also want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Go to small claims court if it's still not resolved.

He's actually got stellar yelp reviews, which is why I went to him in the first place. My 1-star would get lost in the sea of reviews he's got. But it would probably make me feel better, so I'll go that route.

- - - Updated - - -

I went and asked for a basic interior/exterior wash, and he upsold me on his premium detailing package. "It's going to be so shiny - I'll polish it and put a coat of glaze wax on it". So I paid for it, not knowing of course that polishing meant that the coating would be gone. Why would a customer tell you that he just spent $1000 on cQuartz, ask if you've ever worked with it and not to damage it, and then agree to have it polished off? Ugh.

Seems like detailer #2 isn't a fan, because it lowers his repeat "waxing" detail business. Easy to uncharge an extra $50-$100 on monthly or whatever recurring basis. This way his cars come in looking like crap and always comes out sparkling clean and the "wow" after his wax/glaze job ensuring 5 star yelp reviews.

Now detailer #1 has to remove all glaze/wax, do minor paint correction and re-apply cQuartz since the paint has to be perfectly free of any wax/glaze before application.

it seems that you have issues with both "detailers". the first who didn't properly pre the car for the cQuartz and the second for "damaging" the car by removing the cQuartz. I'm not sure what the small claims limit is these days in California, it certainly appears that you have valid claims against both. Best of luck and so sorry that this happened to you.

Got my car back from detailer #1 today, who gave me a bit of a break on doing another paint correction + cQuartz Finest. He was able to take off all the holograms and probably 99% of the swirls. A couple small faint marks, but I can live with them now. I know it sounds dirty, but the paint on the car looks so wet that it looks like it's about to drip off the car! :love:

IMG_6250.jpg