TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Question about customization: how to connect Tesla brake lights to brake pedal only?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Tiger, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Tiger

Tiger Member

Based on reasoning in this thread: Regen and Brake Lights - Highway Issue

I would like to customize Tesla brake lights to light up only when pressing the brake pedal. Has anybody had a look at the wirings if this would be an easy task, just snip one wire or does it require pulling completely new wires from the pedal and adding a brake pedal light switch?

upload_2017-7-15_11-33-9.png

• Disagree x 4
  2. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I incorporate by reference all of the posts at that link that point out how dangerous it is to aggressively decelerate with traffic behind you without your brake lights coming on. And that's exactly what you are planning to do.

• Like x 3
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The "reasoning"in the thread you refer to is that doing that is a very bad idea for many reasons.

You are welcome to disagree. But modifying a Tesla to deactivate the brake lights during regen would be ill-advised and definitely not a simple thing to do. My guess is that it is not possible without modifying the firmware. I hope that is the case because I don't want to see anyone make the change you describe.

• Like x 4
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

First question I have is, why? What's the point of no brake lights during regen? You can reduce regen, of course, but if the car is slowing down (like braking), people in back should be notified.

• Like x 2
  5. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

Why are you trying to make your vehicle less safe?

• Like x 2
  6. timvracer

timvracer Member

Why? I can't possibly imagine why someone would do this unless they are trying to run/hide from the police (the same reason I know people have put their brake light circuit on a switch).

• Like x 2
  7. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Plus there are likely legal ramifications to doing so.

Brake Light Actuation [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum

8. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

#8 JHWJR, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    As an attorney, I don't do much car accident work anymore, but this is the stuff of dreams. It's the very definition of negligence. Probably warrants punitive damages. Keep up the good work.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  9. animorph

animorph Member

I don't think regen braking is much different than semi-aggressive engine braking by downshifting in a manual car. I drive my X pretty much the same way as my Porsche for normal braking, hitting the brake only at the end to come to a complete a stop. No brake lights on the Porsche until I finally hit the brakes at 5 MPH. Probably normal anywhere except the US, where automatic transmissions totally dominate. Still, not a good idea to modify safety features of a car.

Look at the brake lights on the car in the Tesla instrument panel, for those that have it. I think you can see that light regeneration (feathering the accelerator pedal into the regen range) does not trigger the brake lights. Heavier regen (like fully releasing the accelerator pedal) does trigger the brake lights. If you want to glide to a stop without brake lights, you can try to find that sweet-spot of max regen just before the brake lights turn on.

10. tccartier

tccartier Member

I currently drive a Volt (until I take delivery of my M/S) and WISH the brake lights did come on when driving in "L" on lifting off the throttle. The car will slow dramatically under most circumstances