Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about delaying delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, go figure I might be out of town when my MYP is delivered. Kansas City is saying the 28th (or around there) it'll get there, and I'm going to be gone until the 5th of July. Tesla SA (I don't believe Kansas City) said it was somehow routed to Cleveland, Ohio and it might give me the buffer I need because it has to be rerouted.

They have also told me conflicting things, that they don't do POA's anymore, and that they do POA's but can't do it for trade-ins since a POA can't sign a POA. (sigh)

So here goes my questions.

1. If I delay delivery, is there an average turnaround time that has been seen? I understand the demand but does it throw me to the back of the queue and I do the whole waiting thing over again?
2. Will I have to resign my MVPA and redo my financing? I'm assuming I'll just resign the MVPA and they'll send stuff off to USAA for the financing.
3. Why me? Like, the hell man. I rarely ever go on vacation, and the ONE time I'm going the car comes a freaking month early.

Someone else with more experience can weigh in but AFAIK you can delay by having it pushed back a week or so, or a one time 30 day delay where you can turn it back on when you want and get your spot back. If you do this more than one time they may/will cancel your order (people recently are saying they are doing this). You should text your sales advisor (from the welcome text) and see what they say for more concrete info, they may have updated their delaying in advance of the maybe passing bill, etc.

I am currently out of the country when the VIN was assigned (beginning of August 2022). I emailed my SA and communicated to him that I was out of town and I needed to delay and put a hold. SA understood and put a hold on my account and told me that when I am back in the country the following month, let him know and he will take the hold off.

Then 2-3 days later, I get this email from Tesla saying that if I fail to take the hold off by Aug 20, 2022~, they will cancel my order. I emailed my SA again and he told me that there is nothing he can do. So I ended up changing the name on my order to another family member and took the hold off in order to avoid cancellation. (i.e. I am paying cash so it didn't impact much else). So now my delivery is scheduled for this Friday while I am still out of the country, and the car is now in another family member's name and they will take the delivery. Entire experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Their service is a mess. I assume, it's partially because of all the shenanigans that other people pull to delay their deliveries and partially because it's end of the quarter

Reactions: Yelobird
I am currently out of the country when the VIN was assigned (beginning of August 2022). I emailed my SA and communicated to him that I was out of town and I needed to delay and put a hold. SA understood and put a hold on my account and told me that when I am back in the country the following month, let him know and he will take the hold off.

Then 2-3 days later, I get this email from Tesla saying that if I fail to take the hold off by Aug 20, 2022~, they will cancel my order. I emailed my SA again and he told me that there is nothing he can do. So I ended up changing the name on my order to another family member and took the hold off in order to avoid cancellation. (i.e. I am paying cash so it didn't impact much else). So now my delivery is scheduled for this Friday while I am still out of the country, and the car is now in another family member's name and they will take the delivery. Entire experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Their service is a mess. I assume, it's partially because of all the shenanigans that other people pull to delay their deliveries and partially because it's end of the quarter

According to the wording of the current order agreement, "
"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will
notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location
as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do
not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made
available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first
attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

So if Tesla first notified you of a VIN at the beginning of August and that was considered the "first attempt to notify you", based on the terms of the order agreement, you shouldn't have had to take delivery until 30 days later sometime early September? Did you inform your SA about the terms of the order agreement and how you should technically have had 30 days from time of VIN notification of having to take delivery?

Regardless, it sounds like Tesla can't cancel your order without breaking their own agreement unless 30 days have elapsed since they informed you of a VIN.

According to the wording of the current order agreement, "
"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will
notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location
as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do
not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made
available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first
attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

So if Tesla first notified you of a VIN at the beginning of August and that was considered the "first attempt to notify you", based on the terms of the order agreement, you shouldn't have had to take delivery until 30 days later sometime early September? Did you inform your SA about the terms of the order agreement and how you should technically have had 30 days from time of VIN notification of having to take delivery?

Regardless, it sounds like Tesla can't cancel your order without breaking their own agreement unless 30 days have elapsed since they informed you of a VIN.
Tesla SA was useless and helpless. Tesla also didn't seem to care. They just sent a notice by email that unless I take the hold off by Aug 20th, they will cancel the order. There was no room for negotiation.

I also saw similar notice sent to others on reddit so I wasn't the only one. I waited since Nov 21 to take delivery so I wasn't gonna take any chances.

Tesla SA was useless and helpless. Tesla also didn't seem to care. They just sent a notice by email that unless I take the hold off by Aug 20th, they will cancel the order. There was no room for negotiation.

I also saw similar notice sent to others on reddit so I wasn't the only one. I waited since Nov 21 to take delivery so I wasn't gonna take any chances.
So their order agreement terms about reservation holders having 30 days before order cancellation are worthless. What are words anyways?!

Reactions: ninkorn