Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys long story but my door handles were extended and I pushed in one of the door handles into the car while it was extended and now the door handle will not open the door it will retract and extract but it makes a noise but wont unlock the door from the outside. what could be the issue i don't have warranty so don't want to take it to them unless i cant figure it out

I have a similar issue to this but I didn't do anything to cause this and it does not make a noise when opening. I scheduled a mobile appointment to solve it and will post when it's completed. For context, just two years ago (Aug 2018) I had this handle replaced for not presenting itself.

Same here passenger front door as of Saturday out of the blue, retracts and puddle light illuminates but when handle pulled nothing.

Yes please post back your result with the mobile appointment albeit a SC visit or mobile ranger visit.

I had a mobile ranger repair via replacement of the mechanism in the driver front door a few years ago in warranty and now not so much with a warranty and thinking of going the mobile ranger route and hopefully get a goodwill repair

The paddle gear is broken. It’s about $280 for newest gen handle. the paddle on the new ones is supposed to be stronger than the original ones.
I looked back and apparently instead of replacing the handle it looks like they just reassembled it, which is probably why this problem came about now instead of being prevented:
upload_2020-11-24_12-37-51.png

I just can't wait for my other door handles to fail...

How long ago did they do this? If within a year they will have to fix for free.

I can’t believe they charged that much for a rebuild of the gear. I know they we’re doing that for a bit on under warranty cars but not on self pay. It’s about that much for a gen 3. My mobile tech said that he’s only replaced 2 of the gen 3 and hundreds of the others.

Reactions: dark cloud
How long ago did they do this? If within a year they will have to fix for free.

I can’t believe they charged that much for a rebuild of the gear. I know they we’re doing that for a bit on under warranty cars but not on self pay. It’s about that much for a gen 3. My mobile tech said that he’s only replaced 2 of the gen 3 and hundreds of the others.
I had my handle replaced under warranty sometime this year I’m out of warranty now but can you please explain is there on mileage or year warranty on the new handle replacement because I know I’m under a year but I don’t know how many miles I drove this year which could have a go above warranty

I tried to reboot and same. I'm going to try a hard reboot, holding the scrolls in for a minute later at a supercharger stop and see if that does anything. If not, Friday maybe I will try to pull the fuse(s) in the frunk and see if that fixes the issue.

@Pluto When are they going to get you in for an appointment?

Does anyone feel a handle that presents and retracts normally but pulls limp and does not open the door may just need a recalibration?
Do you also hear a high pitched sound? I had an issue with the handle not unlatching the door. It retracted but not all the way flush and when it retracted, it made the sound. After a couple of days not working, the handle worked again. I had scheduled a mobile tech visit. Fortunately, I took video of the handle when it didn't work. I was thousands of miles away from home and didn't want to deal with an issue with a door.

I tried to reboot and same. I'm going to try a hard reboot, holding the scrolls in for a minute later at a supercharger stop and see if that does anything. If not, Friday maybe I will try to pull the fuse(s) in the frunk and see if that fixes the issue.

@Pluto When are they going to get you in for an appointment?
It’s on Monday.

I was thinking this specific issue could have a software workaround by checking if your hand is on the handle for 2 seconds when it’s extended and the door is closed, the door could actuate assuming you’ll pull it. At least it’s better than us climbing in from the passenger’s side when we’re alone until we get it fixed (when I have a passenger they pull the door handle from inside and I do the rest).

@tranzndance I do not hear a high pitched sound in my case. I listened closely from inside the cabin repeatedly moving the door handle by going from park to drive park to drive....and I didn't hear anything except maybe a tingle of a click at the end of the cycle when the handle fully retracted back into the door. I heard nothing from the outside when toggling with the fob.

@Pluto I'm hoping it's a software issue. Is there a number that can be called for them to 'check the logs' or push an update etc? I know in the past there was such a thing and there still very well may be just I know it's been hard to get live help with the advent of the service scheduler via the app. Anyone?

@Pluto I'm hoping it's a software issue. Is there a number that can be called for them to 'check the logs' or push an update etc? I know in the past there was such a thing and there still very well may be just I know it's been hard to get live help with the advent of the service scheduler via the app. Anyone?
They should be able to diagnose it remotely if it is a software issue. Anyways today I found a good solution to get into my car while I'm doing something on my own, just leave my window open when I leave and when I come back unlock the car before I open the door with the handle from the inside. I don't keep valuables in my car and rain/wildlife isn't common here, so I'm pretty happy with this as a temporary solution.

When my handle would present but pulLung wouldn’t open the door the issue was the wiring harness that goes from the car through the door. Some wires started to break in the rubber boot between the car and the door. Albeit it was a rear door not a front door that door wouldn’t open.

if your handle was out and you pushed it in you broke it, simple as that. go buy the repair kit Tesla Model S Door Handle Repair Kit (Gen 2) and fix it in your driveway, takes up to an hour to do depending on your skill level.

Takes up to an hour?!?! You are kidding.

The first time just R&I a door handle is 2 hours with decent skill level. I have replaced engine heads/dropped trannies for clutches/changed engines - as well as tons of smaller interior stuff - and I had to remove door panels a second time because alignment wasn't right. In fact, right now, my door handle is not quite flush on the second one I did. Because rear isn't quite the same as front. And I dread getting in there again.

When Tesla will install a new gen for $400, who really wants to go through that for $180. I would argue that less than 10% of owners probably have the skill set to be able to do it at all.

The other issue is that Tesla jacked up the parts prices - like $20 for wiring harness to like $120. The gear paddle was $5 but I think it is more like $50 now - which isn't nothing..... Sounds like their pricing is encouraging going to the Gen 3 handles (or buying a new car)

But that Teslarati price of $180 for a rebuild kit is just as absurd. It is replacing what was $25 in Tesla parts just a few months ago. Sure - they are better but the MTBF of a Gen 2 door handle is about 4 years. And since anyone can do it in under an hour - why spend so much on parts?/s

Does anyone feel a handle that presents and retracts normally but pulls limp and does not open the door may just need a recalibration?

Since the new version of door handle have appeared it’s been noted to perform the installing prior new SW update. This will set the new version compliant to the car and should start to perform as needed. Perhaps road assistance can push current SW again or try to ask SeC to initiate SW download again. It should be fixable OTA.