Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about drastic range loss from new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a new model 3 yesterday. It drives real well, no major issues and I was pleased to find that eMPA seems to be accurate after ~150 miles of driving on the first day. I did read around the forums that the model 3 can lose about 1% battery per day (so around 3-4 miles a day) but over night (8 hour period) I seem to have lost 10 miles. Before going to bed I checked and saw I had 97miles of range left on my battery. After waking up and checking again I saw it fell down to 87miles left. I don't have climate control on and the only thing on should be sentry mode. Is this normal?

I took delivery of a new model 3 yesterday. It drives real well, no major issues and I was pleased to find that eMPA seems to be accurate after ~150 miles of driving on the first day. I did read around the forums that the model 3 can lose about 1% battery per day (so around 3-4 miles a day) but over night (8 hour period) I seem to have lost 10 miles. Before going to bed I checked and saw I had 97miles of range left on my battery. After waking up and checking again I saw it fell down to 87miles left. I don't have climate control on and the only thing on should be sentry mode. Is this normal?

Sentry mode will use 1-2 miles an hour of your range. It will also prevent the car from "going to sleep", which will eventually likely make the car report having a different total range than it actually has

TL ; DR dont use sentry mode at home unless you have to, and if you have to, understand that your car may start eventually reporting incorrect max range, etc as it is not sleeping properly. These cars dont like insomnia for long periods of time.

Three main items drain battery when not in use.

1. Cabin Overheat protection (I have this disabled)
2. Summon Standby (I also have this disabled and still use summon fine)
3. Sentry mode (this will vary based on how often it is triggered, but all the info above is correct)

Thank you very useful information! Hmm, considering each of these points:
1. I doubt it was cabin overheat protection that was the issue as it's pretty cool here at night.
2. I don't have FSD so don't have Summon so would this still be a problem?
3. I'm guessing Sentry mode would be the main issue. I will check the videos at lunch or after work.

Why? I always charge up to 80 or 85%. Sometimes I don't need to charge it for a whole week before it gets down to 30 or 40%

Elon Musk mentioned that you can just leave your car plugged in when not in use and the car will take care of the rest. No harm in keeping it plugged in even when it's at the charge limit you set. Unfortunately I don't have this luxury in my condo.

Why? I always charge up to 80 or 85%. Sometimes I don't need to charge it for a whole week before it gets down to 30 or 40%

Not giving an opinion on the matter, this is a copy and paste from the Tesla website.

Leave Your Tesla Plugged In
We always recommend leaving your Tesla plugged in when it’s not in use. This is especially helpful when it’s cold as staying connected helps your battery retain the heat it needs to operate efficiently and leverage regenerative braking.

Reactions: LionXng
Before going to bed I checked and saw I had 97miles of range left on my battery. After waking up and checking again I saw it fell down to 87miles left. I don't have climate control on and the only thing on should be sentry mode. Is this normal?

Temperature has an effect on range, probably this was part of it esp since you reported that the range did not go down later that morning

Reactions: M109Rider
This is a good time to remind everyone that the reported range on your battery is also a function of temperature.

If temperature plummets overnight, your battery is cooling off all night, and the level you see in the morning will report lower range than you saw the night before.

You can see the reverse happen, and I have. I've driven home very late (call it very early) from the nearby airport after a very cold night and parked my car and saw the available miles in my app. The sun had just come up. I slept for a few hours, had breakfast and worked from home for several hours, and went to the car to drive out to get a bite to eat for dinner... And saw 15 more miles of range on my car since I had parked that morning! It had not been plugged in. It was simply a matter of the cold battery warming up during the day.

uhhh. Your outlet isn’t a gas station. You don’t have to go out of your way to plug it in. Why are you keeping gas car habits? Leave it plugged in all the time when you can. There is no reason to ever leave home without a full charge unless you weren’t home long enough to charge it all the way before leaving again.

TL ; DR dont use sentry mode at home unless you have to, and if you have to, understand that your car may start eventually reporting incorrect max range, etc as it is not sleeping properly. These cars dont like insomnia for long periods of time.

Although preventing the car from sleeping could potentially prolong the life of the 12V battery with the DC-DC converter remaining active.

There is no reason to ever leave home without a full charge

There are lots of reasons: sharing a charger with another EV, having to move cars around in a driveway to reach the charge cable, not wanting to block another vehicle while charging, making use of on-street parking, etc. For some people, charging happens at work not at home.