Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about dropping car off for wrapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, getting close to ordering my P3. Question I have is that it seems like valet mode locks the frunk. If I want to drop off my car to have window tinting and PPF applies to the front of the car as well as rockers, I believe they will need to open the frunk in order to wrap the film around the edges properly. Is it possible to set valet to leave the frunk open or is there some other way to restrict access to all the rest of the stuff valet mode does such as speed limits and user profiles etc. I doubt they would play with the available info but you never know.
Thanks in advance!

No reputable shop is going to take your car for a joy ride, read your Yelp reviews and stop stressing. Remove everything from inside your car, even floor mats if you’re that concerned.

My Model 3 is currently in the shop and stayed over night, getting a full paint correction & Feynlab ceramic coating not once did I think these people were going to rob my aero hub caps, the cars they work on in one months totals millions of dollars, No stress here.

Fred

9146F1C6-FC61-4EDA-80D3-86D56E9360DB.jpeg

80B70364-57C0-4E2C-A59F-639BFBFCBAB2.jpeg

No reputable shop is going to take your car for a joy ride, read your Yelp reviews and stop stressing. Remove everything from inside your car, even floor mats if you’re that concerned.

My Model 3 is currently in the shop and stayed over night, getting a full paint correction & Feynlab ceramic coating not once did I think these people were going to rob my aero hub caps, the cars they work on in one months totals millions of dollars, No stress here.

Fred
That’s a good point. I can’t imagine the place I’m going to would abuse the car as they do many high end cars. That said back when I had one of my corvettes, my buddy dropped his off to have a simple oil change done to his ZR1. Dealer called him an hour later to tell him there was a “little issue” with the car. When he went there to see what the issue was, it seemed a porter took the car around the back of the parking lot and ended up wrapping the car around a light pole! Hood, front fender, door, and a bunch of suspension work along with an airbag. End result totaled. Dealer finally took care of him but only after he started lawsuit threats with both the dealer and GM.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
That’s a good point. I can’t imagine the place I’m going to would abuse the car as they do many high end cars. That said back when I had one of my corvettes, my buddy dropped his off to have a simple oil change done to his ZR1. Dealer called him an hour later to tell him there was a “little issue” with the car. When he went there to see what the issue was, it seemed a porter took the car around the back of the parking lot and ended up wrapping the car around a light pole! Hood, front fender, door, and a bunch of suspension work along with an airbag. End result totaled. Dealer finally took care of him but only after he started lawsuit threats with both the dealer and GM.

This .. if you are having your car wrapped by a shop that the Model 3 is one of the nicer cars they have done ... get a different shop. The place that did mine had all sorts of exotics that they had done before along with like 50 model 3s. If you can't trust your shop, don't take it to them.

You can also enable logging on Telsa-Fi if you want to see every place they have drove the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Thp3 and Matsayz

Fred
I agree. My shop has wayyy more expensive cars like Lamborghini’s in there all the time. They’re very reputable and I think the Lamborghini would go first before my car was even looked at;).

Reactions: SammichLover
I had valet mode on when they wrapped my front end & some miscellaneous bits. They were basically like "please stop making our jobs a pain in the ass..." so I disabled it remotely. When I came in to get the car, there was an V10 R8 Decennium and a GT3 RS sitting in the shop. I don't think they give a *sugar* about my Model 3.

Reactions: C141medic
One suggestion, though. If you have Stats for Tesla or a similar app, make sure you disable the feature where it will lock the car if it detects the car is unattended and unlocked. I once valet parked my car at a nice steakhouse restaurant and received a text message from StatsForTesla that it detected my car was unlocked and it automatically locked it for me. That is a great feature in that situation, but it would suck if my car was being serviced or having PPF installed.

I agree with Dolemite, don't put the car in valet mode... that's just goin to piss them off. They may need to move the car of XYZ and this will just delay the whole thing. Find a new shop even if it costs more, it probably costs more because they're better at this jobs. Price for wraps are usually around $2K or more for legit material and quality work.