Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about E-Z Pass green tag (NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the online customer service request feature (My Account > Service Request) last week and received email confirmation within about 36 hours that my tag had shipped. It hasn't actually arrived yet, however.

Here's the text I submitted along with a copy of my registration:

Dear E-ZPass Customer Service, I would like to apply for the Green Pass Discount Plan for my recently purchased vehicle that I have added to my account. It is an all-electric Tesla Model Y station wagon / SUV, license plate XXXXXX. I have attached a copy of my registration. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Edited to add: I also got a very quick response from E-ZPass NY, whose Port Authority green pass program is really valuable if you travel over the NYC bridges at non-peak hours. We live in PA but have both NJ and NY green pass tags. The NJ one is just barely worth it for us after the $12/year service fees, but the NY one pays for it with just a few bridge crossings.

You are expected to install the tag, though for E-ZPass generally my understanding is that they will also process tolls based on your plate if the tag is not read. I’m not sure if they will apply the green discount in that case, however.

I did snail mail. Took awhile. I didn't get a new transponder. I already had two and they just set one for green. My account now shows the green plan and the standard plan

The letter I sent:

NJ E-ZPASS Customer Service Center
P.O. BOX 4972
Trenton, NJ 08650

Re: Application for a Green E-Pass

I would like to obtain a green E-ZPass for my 2020 Tesla.

Vehicle - 2020 Tesla Model Y

Vehicle VIN - 5YJYGDEE2LF036XXX

Registration -XXXXXX

My current registration is included as verification of eligibility.

It’s not clear to me whether you will change the plan for one of my existing transponders or issue a new one. If you change an existing transponder, the serial on the face of this transponder is:

G4*02XXXXXXXXX*

If you issue a new transponder, I will need to return the above transponder.

Thank-you

I did snail mail. Took awhile. I didn't get a new transponder. I already had two and they just set one for green. My account now shows the green plan and the standard plan

The letter I sent:

NJ E-ZPASS Customer Service Center
P.O. BOX 4972
Trenton, NJ 08650

Re: Application for a Green E-Pass

I would like to obtain a green E-ZPass for my 2020 Tesla.

Vehicle - 2020 Tesla Model Y

Vehicle VIN - 5YJYGDEE2LF036XXX

Registration -XXXXXX

My current registration is included as verification of eligibility.

It’s not clear to me whether you will change the plan for one of my existing transponders or issue a new one. If you change an existing transponder, the serial on the face of this transponder is:

G4*02XXXXXXXXX*

If you issue a new transponder, I will need to return the above transponder.

Thank-you
Thanks for sharing this. I just submitted a request for green ezpass under my online account.

I used the online customer service request feature (My Account > Service Request) last week and received email confirmation within about 36 hours that my tag had shipped. It hasn't actually arrived yet, however.

Here's the text I submitted along with a copy of my registration:

Dear E-ZPass Customer Service, I would like to apply for the Green Pass Discount Plan for my recently purchased vehicle that I have added to my account. It is an all-electric Tesla Model Y station wagon / SUV, license plate XXXXXX. I have attached a copy of my registration. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Edited to add: I also got a very quick response from E-ZPass NY, whose Port Authority green pass program is really valuable if you travel over the NYC bridges at non-peak hours. We live in PA but have both NJ and NY green pass tags. The NJ one is just barely worth it for us after the $12/year service fees, but the NY one pays for it with just a few bridge crossings.

THANKS! Did exactly as you stated and I had a turnaround in less than 24 hours. I did it late last night and received an email today. They asked for Tag number of the Tag used in the Tesla. It seems they are not sending Tags unless needed and are just mapping the discount to the TAG associated with the EV.

Reactions: ahcpa
You guys are lucky! I've tried twice with NY. Contact them and they said I have to send a letter or a fax. Fax, ok.. did that....

Nothing... contacted... never got it...

So snail mail it was.... Nothing... never heard about it.

Maybe things have changed since the summer- so I'll try it again. But I am the only NYer in this reply- so.... yeah. not holding my breath.

THANKS! Did exactly as you stated and I had a turnaround in less than 24 hours. I did it late last night and received an email today. They asked for Tag number of the Tag used in the Tesla. It seems they are not sending Tags unless needed and are just mapping the discount to the TAG associated with the EV.
I did the same over the weekend but have not received a reply beyond the auto-generated one confirming receipt. ☹

I did the same over the weekend but have not received a reply beyond the auto-generated one confirming receipt. ☹

I received the automated email stating I would get a response within 10 business days but then I got an email from an email address OUTSIDE of Ezpass - it seems they may be outsourcing some work? Be Sure to Check your SPAM folder (included a screenshot - was from a @Conduent.com address).

Also not sure if this has anything to do with it, but the day I picked up my Model Y, Dec 31st from Paramus Tesla - I didnt have my EZPass tag (was too excited to remember) also I wasn't expecting to go thru Parkway but was re-routed due to Traffic so I just drove thru with the Temp plates (that I still have) and I guess the temp registration automatically connected my account as when I went on EZPass my Temp Plates were already added due to this as well as the $0.65 transaction.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.37.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.37.02 PM.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 413
thank you. I did not have anything in the Junk folder but checked the EZ Pass site this morning and it read that my inquiry was closed earlier in the week. I read that I did not provide complete information (my error) so will resend this weekend.