Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Electric plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to purchase a M3 LR and I was looking to see if my power company offered any EV plans.

I live in Massachusetts and I can sign for Clearview. Here is one of the plans they offer.

10.59¢Electricity-Kwh
  • This plan includes a $75 cash back on a new ChargePoint® Home Residential EV Charger and free Weekend EV Charging 7PM Friday to 7AM Monday.
My current Generation Service Charge .11029 and then I have a ton of delivery fees

Distribution Charge .06488
Transition Charge .0003
Transmission Charge.02628
Revenue Decoupling Charge .00013
Distributed Solar Charge .00119
Renewable Energy Charge .00050
Energy Efficiency .01625

I am going to purchase a M3 LR and I was looking to see if my power company offered any EV plans.

I live in Massachusetts and I can sign for Clearview. Here is one of the plans they offer.

10.59¢Electricity-Kwh
  • This plan includes a $75 cash back on a new ChargePoint® Home Residential EV Charger and free Weekend EV Charging 7PM Friday to 7AM Monday.
My current Generation Service Charge .11029 and then I have a ton of delivery fees

Transition Charge .0003
Energy Efficiency .01625
My only concern would be that your Clearview rate could go up and you may have some difficulty switching back if you’re not happy. I assume you’re on Eversource currently and they’re no bargain. I’m very curious to see how you make out.

10.59¢Electricity-Kwh

Transition Charge .0003
Energy Efficiency .01625

Free weekend charging, but then you pay more for electricity than you would otherwise (with clearview).

You need to find out the rest of the details as you already know from Eversource that there are additional fees and that generation costs are only 1 part of your per kwh cost.

Their base plans are even cheaper - 8.89 cents per kwh, and that no doubt means they have an additional 3 cents per kwh added somewhere else ex. distribution charge. So then you pay 13.59 (relatively speaking, hypothetically).

Looks deceptive to me.

When you realize that there is only 1 owner of then electrical grid, then you would realize that the idea of a secondary reseller being cheaper is too good to be true.

I am also an Eversource customer. When I first installed my charging equipment about 3 years ago, Eversource had a Time of Use plan, but they later abandoned it, unfortunately. That saved me about 10% on my bill over the course of the year.
Now they do have an incentive plan for EV owners, under which they give you some discounts for installing a demand-controlled ChargePoint device. You can see the details here:
https://www.eversource.com/content/.../electric-vehicles/ev-charger-demand-response
My son got into this plan for his plug-in hybrid and seems pretty happy with it. Not sure how much money he saves, though.

Reactions: user212_nr
Eversource in MA as well
Curious how you make out.
The $.1059 amount clearly does not include all costs (delivery fees, taxes, etc...)

The new Eversource EV plan Telsa Wall Connectors do not qualify and the max savings is $300 over 3 years from what I understand.

Thanks, I haven't even ordered yet....LOL. will at the end of the month. Trying to set it up so I don't have a big overlap of new TSLA and lease ending.

With that being said. I think unless I get solar of some type the delivery fee will most likely stay the same and I will just drop from .11 to .1059. But will get free charging on weekend. I assume that ends up being free power while charging, but I will still have to pay the delivery fee.

the delivery fee will most likely stay the same

They are two different companies, Clearview and Eversource. All of the rate fees will be different, and since Clearview is buying and reselling the electricity and the grid lease from Eversource, in no way can they afford to offer you such a low price.

The fact that you cannot find those fees on their website tells you all you need to know.

Good luck with the car though, the electric rate is not that big of a deal compared with the actual purchase price.

I agree that you should be careful to find out when and if the Clearview generation charge could change. It may or may not be fixed for a particular period.
By comparison, my town (Dedham) is a participant in a consortium made up of many municipalities that negotiate an energy supply contract for 2 or 3 years at a time. Our present energy rate is 10.58 cents/kWh. That is about the same as the figure quoted for Clearview, but it is also fixed for the duration of the contract (another year or two, as I recall), and does not vary from month to month.
Eversource's default rates for energy are dependent on whether you choose a fixed plan or a variable plan. The fixed rate is fixed for 6 months at a time. Right now it is 0.12157/kWh. The variable rate ranges from 0.09674 in June to 0.14783 in February (this month). The rates are on the Eversource web site. So you could use the Eversource rates for comparison and calculate how much the Clearview plan saves, based upon your assumed usage.
There are lots of other independent suppliers of energy, also, but some people have complained about how the rates can change and so on. As i recall, the Mass DPU has an index of suppliers with some information about their rates. Shop carefully!
Having said all that, free charging on the weekend does sound tempting, so long as you can determine how permanent that introductory energy rate is for the rest of the week....

Reactions: user212_nr
They are two different companies, Clearview and Eversource. All of the rate fees will be different, and since Clearview is buying and reselling the electricity and the grid lease from Eversource, in no way can they afford to offer you such a low price.

The fact that you cannot find those fees on their website tells you all you need to know.

Good luck with the car though, the electric rate is not that big of a deal compared with the actual purchase price.

Here's some more info, it slightly different that I thought.

"Basic service is market-priced electricity provided by your local distribution utility (LDU) if you have not chosen a competitive supplier. You may use the pricing and term information for Basic Service as a means of comparison to Clearview’s product offerings. You may or may not be charged a fee from your LDU when you choose a Competitive Power Supplier. Please contact your LDU for information on Basic Service rates and any associated fees if you have questions."

https://www.clearviewenergy.com/state/Massachusetts

So the additional fee, if any is provided by your local "distribution utility".

I agree with those who have pointed out that the rates are subject to change, and that may be their motive of collecting their money back.

Look at how they are offering "8.89 /kwh for 6 months" vs 10.9 for 1 year. Why would they offer such a deal when the going rate is higher than 11?

Check out the rates for CT:

https://www.clearviewenergy.com/past_variable_rates.htm

They are offering 7.39 - 8.29, but the actual rate that their customers are paying is up to 0.1639. They show only the min and the max, not the average.

How to avoid these 3 utility scams

The ol’ ESCO switcheroo
A lot of people don’t know that, in some states, you can choose who provides your electricity and gas. The idea behind this is that consumers can choose companies who provide lower rates or source their power from renewable resources.
Instead, consumers are being tricked into paying even higher rates for electricity. How does the scam work? Companies hire salespeople to knock on your door and tell you that they can save you money on your electricity bill. They’ll ask to see your electricity bill so they can point out all the ways they can help you save.

Of course, they’re not trying to help you save. A lot of times, these ESCOs will advertise low introductory rates before they jack up the price months later. Sometimes, they’re just lying to you. The worst part? You don’t even have to agree to anything - if they see your account number, they can take it and switch you to a different ESCO without your permission.

The second worst part? Most of these salespeople don’t know they’re scammers. Companies lie to them and make them believe that they’re actually helping people.​

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I'm up in NH and have Eversource. I contacted them about off-peak charging plans because I had never heard one and didn't see it advertised.
They responded with a pretty good looking plan that you have to lock in for one year. That being said, if you don't play it right your electricity cost can go up. I decided to wait 2 years until my electricity guzzling kids are out of the house. I finally have them doing their own laundry but if I had to tell them to wait until 8pm there's no way they'd do it:D

• Funny
Reactions: David29
I'm up in NH and have Eversource. I contacted them about off-peak charging plans because I had never heard one and didn't see it advertised.
They responded with a pretty good looking plan that you have to lock in for one year. That being said, if you don't play it right your electricity cost can go up. I decided to wait 2 years until my electricity guzzling kids are out of the house. I finally have them doing their own laundry but if I had to tell them to wait until 8pm there's no way they'd do it:D

https://www.eversource.com/content/...very-service-tariff-nh.pdf?sfvrsn=7fb7f062_54

0.2 cents distribution vs 4.5 cents. Then you have 15$ additional per month, and 14 cents for peak. Plus 11 cents generation/energy cost.

Sounds to me like it would be very difficult to make that work. You are only saving 4.3 cents out of 19 and you have $15 fixed price increase.

You need to use 348 kwh to off-peak just to get back the $15 (break-even), and then subtract the amount of peak charges. Lets say you use 50 kwh peak and 348 off peak, you loose $7.

With 50 kwh peak, you need 511 kwh off just to break even.

Note: numbers could be wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
Even the Eversource customer rep said "are you sure you'd want to do this?"
I think I'll try it for a year in a few years when kids aren't consuming power at home.

The math is pretty easy to do - just estimate your daytime usage and subtract that from your total to get the night time.

Daytime usage:
- Refrigerator
- TV
- Electric Oven / Stove
- Microwave, toaster
- Phone charger
- Computer

1500 + (0.2)*OFFPEAK + (14.407)*PEAK ~~~~ 4.508*(OFFPEAK+PEAK)
1500 + (0.2)*OFFPEAK + (14.407)*PEAK - 4.508*(OFFPEAK+PEAK)
1500 + (0.2 - 4.508)*OFFPEAK + (14.407 - 4.508)*PEAK
Simplified Equation
1500 + (-4.308)*OFFPEAK + (9.899)*PEAK

Example: 250 offpeak, 50 peak = 917.95 cents = $9.18

That means it would cost you $9.18 extra. If the result is negative, you save, positive, you loose.