Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about EMW JuiceBox, permit approval, Lab certification.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. As you've seen from some of my other posts, I'm in the early stages of preparing to buy an EV. I'm considering all the factors, including permitting, running new wiring, and picking out an EVSE. I've heard a lot of good things about the EV Motorwerks JuiceBox, but one issue I've heard is that because the unit is not technically UL or NRTL certified/approved, that some municipalities will not approve the installation. From what I've read, this is not a big issue in my specific city/county. Another workaround I've heard is to just have the electrician install a 14-50 plug on a 50-amp circuit, and get that approved, and plug in the EVSE later.

Two questions....Do any of you have a JuiceBox, what has your experience been with it, and did you experience any approval headaches because it was not lab-certified? Thanks in advance.

I have the 10Kw JuiceBox with WiFi and have no complaints. I had the outlet installed in my garage, and simply plugged the JuiceBox in via the NEMA 14-50 plug built into it. I believe since it is plug-in and not hard wired, some of the permitting/installation regulation can alleviated.

Reasons I purchased the JuiceBox:
- I can remotely log my data and monitor variables like current and voltage (I have a Leaf, and thus don't get the data from the car).
- It is small and portable (like the Tesla UMC) in case I need to take it with me for campground charging, or charging at a friends.
- It is very reasonably priced.
- When I had questions before purchasing, I emailed them on a Saturday night during a holiday weekend, and they got back to me within an hour.

Last I heard the EV Moterwerks team were getting the JuiceBox UL certified, but I don't think this is done yet.

Cheers,
Ryan

I'm looking at a Juicebox now to support a Ford Fusion Energi today and a Tesla Model 3 eventually. I like the fact it can be ordered with a 6 foot 14-50 cord, but I've read @FlasherZ say that only 12" 14-50 cords meet electrical code when used with a Telsa HPWC and wonder if that also applies to the non-UL certified Juicebox.

I also see that Clipper Creek only supplies 12" 14-50 cords with their UL certified products.

Anyone have insight into code compliance of the 14-50 Juicebox?

I had a 14-50r installed for futures when my Tesla HPWC was put in, but unfortunately the electrician placed it in an awkward spot ( just below the two 200A panels) for a 12" cord. (See below)
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but an EVSE is an appliance. Therefore, only the UL requirements really matter. Since the Juicebox is not listed, I don't think it matters that it has a little longer cord. Also, you could mount any EVSE that doesn't intend to stow the J-plug on the front of the unit down low next to the 14-50 socket. In the case of the Fusion Energi, the charge port will be very close by. A hook higher up on the wall and to the right of the panels to coil the cable would be handy.

• Informative
Reactions: Nevek