Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about enabling autopilot after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I received my Model 3 invite a couple days ago (day 1 online - non owner) and I was wondering about taxes on autopilot. I'm not sure if autopilot is something I need at the moment and I am considering getting it enabled in a year or so. Since the autopilot activation is done over the air via a software update, I was wondering if Tesla charges tax on autopilot if you enable it after as it's not a physical purchase.

Hey guys,

I received my Model 3 invite a couple days ago (day 1 online - non owner) and I was wondering about taxes on autopilot. I'm not sure if autopilot is something I need at the moment and I am considering getting it enabled in a year or so. Since the autopilot activation is done over the air via a software update, I was wondering if Tesla charges tax on autopilot if you enable it after as it's not a physical purchase.

I originally purchased auto pilot on Tuesday when i configured but last night i called in to remove it. It was just too expensive at nearly $7,500.00 (after tax) Like you, i'll be getting it a couple years which isn't what i hoped for originally but at least we have the option to buy it later. It'll be almost $1,500 difference by then.

Reactions: 03DSG
I originally purchased auto pilot on Tuesday when i configured but last night i called in to remove it. It was just too expensive at nearly $7,500.00 (after tax) Like you, i'll be getting it a couple years which isn't what i hoped for originally but at least we have the option to buy it later. It'll be almost $1,500 difference by then.

I called Tesla to confirm that taxes apply despite the fact it's essentially a digital download purchase. As you mentioned, the difference is turning out to be about $1500 I'm thinking of biting the bullet and adding it in now.