Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about FUSC and ownership change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been fighting with Tesla about this issue today, to no avail. I bought a 2017 Model S, registered on 28 March 2017; purchase from a secondhand dealer who advertised it as FUSC. The charging screen says "no recent supercharging" -- indicating the car did have FUSC with the previous owner (in line with this). The "details" screen however now says "pay-per-use supercharging".

The discussion with the Tesla agent today was super revealing. He said that FUSC gets cancelled when the current owner "removes" the car from his/her Tesla account, e.g. when selling it to a secondhand dealer. This is of course what happens for SC05 cars -- but he said it also happens to SC01 cars (the code where FUSC is meant to be "for life of the car"). The only way to retain FUSC is to do what the OP of this thread describes: transfer the Tesla account, rather than removing it from one account and claiming ownership via another.

It does seem to me that Tesla are undermining the value of cars sold with FUSC "for life of the car". Given what the Tesla agent told me today (and assuming it is true), no secondhand dealer should be selling a car with the assertion that FUSC is transferable.

It's not clear to me what recourse I have here...
That car didn't come with transferrable FUSC so your beef it's with Tesla, it's with the 3rd party dealer who lied to you. I've notified several dealerships on Craigslist nearby but they don't care. They just copy/paste that from car to car to car and nobody ever holds them to it so... why not?

Private party is officially the ONLY way you buy a used Tesla anymore.

If it’s an AP1 car with “Highway Autopilot” you should be OK. There have been reported of people losing EAP or FSD on AP2-and-above cars, reverting to “Basic Autopilot”, although I haven’t been tracking them very carefully.

Your Premium Connectivity should also be fine.

Let us know whether you keep your FUSC once the car is safely in your Tesla account - it’ll be another helpful data point.

And congrats on the car!
Thanks! I don’t think this car had FUSC and since I left the supercharger it is perma-showing the “add billing to use supercharging” so now my anxiety is all about my upcoming weekend trip, although I will be able at least to charge with 1kW at the Airbnb.

just cuz Tesla says it may take days to add the car to the account I just made.

I’m not concerned about paying for supercharging TBH. Still better than paying for gas.
I’m not in a position to have Tesla take away free unlimited supercharging, but if I were, to me it wouldn’t be about the money but rather the principal. It’s complete bull**** that Tesla removes options that were paid for so haphazardly.
I understand if they owned the vehicle and removed options before sending it off to auction, thats fine no issue there, but to remove an option when the vehicle doesn’t pass through them is shady