Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about FUSC and ownership change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I leave his name on the Tesla account but register it under my name to through the DMV so the title officially transfers over.

Does anyone know if Tesla gets notified of this? Do they have access to dmv registration records?

I get recall notices from manufactures of cars I bought used, so I'm pretty sure DMV notifies the manufacturer of the current owner.

My account used to show FUSC for life "transferrable". Then it changed to FUSC. And most recently it says nothing anywhere about FUSC.

Even the purchase agreement says "supercharging enabled" and nothing about FUSC. The monroney also just says "supercharging enabled". Nothing about FUSC. I literally don't have a single document anywhere that says I have FUSC or that it can be transferred for my 2015 P85D.

My account used to show FUSC for life "transferrable". Then it changed to FUSC. And most recently it says nothing anywhere about FUSC.

Even the purchase agreement says "supercharging enabled" and nothing about FUSC. The monroney also just says "supercharging enabled". Nothing about FUSC. I literally don't have a single document anywhere that says I have FUSC or that it can be transferred for my 2015 P85D.

My account shows it under Details.
I would think yours would too since we have similar cars made within a year of each other.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.34.10 AM.png

I bought a 2016 model S and this thread (and many others like it) are making me very nervous. It sounds like if I don't get the FUSC that I might be able to convince Tesla to enable it for me, but there seem to be multiple possible outcomes in which I won't be able to get it:

I got it from a used luxury car dealer.

I bought a 2016 model S and this thread (and many others like it) are making me very nervous. It sounds like if I don't get the FUSC that I might be able to convince Tesla to enable it for me, but there seem to be multiple possible outcomes in which I won't be able to get it:

I got it from a used luxury car dealer.

Tesla has been removing FUSC from ANY tesla regardless of year if it was sold by them or any third party dealer. If they haven't already, your FUSC will be removed. I still don't see how it's legal for them to remove FUSC just because it passes through a third party dealer. If Tesla owns it again before reselling it, they can do whatever they want.

• Helpful
Reactions: AMPd and pilotSteve
I have never heard of that happening. I think every case reported was where the third party dealer got the car at auction from Tesla.

You said that last year:

And Tesla's response directly contradicts this. No mention of it being only from cars they auction off to third party dealers.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.18.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.18.26 PM.png

But as we know not everything a Tesla support agent says is 100% accurate. They were likely generalizing, as cars sold by Tesla starting sometime in 2017, mid-April?, came with non-transferrable FUSC.

Except that it backs up what others have reported that swear they bought their car from a third party dealer as a trade-in. But honestly, your answer is even though Tesla said it IN WRITING, that it's still not true :rolleyes:

But as we know not everything a Tesla support agent says is 100% accurate. They were likely generalizing, as cars sold by Tesla starting sometime in 2017, mid-April?, came with non-transferrable FUSC.

Not only that, but if they were generalizing, as you say, then the response above from Tesla wouldn't be limited to removing FUSC when transferring through third party dealers but would reflect what happens with April 2017+ cars which is to remove FUSC even when transferred between private parties.

I've been fighting with Tesla about this issue today, to no avail. I bought a 2017 Model S, registered on 28 March 2017; purchase from a secondhand dealer who advertised it as FUSC. The charging screen says "no recent supercharging" -- indicating the car did have FUSC with the previous owner (in line with this). The "details" screen however now says "pay-per-use supercharging".

The discussion with the Tesla agent today was super revealing. He said that FUSC gets cancelled when the current owner "removes" the car from his/her Tesla account, e.g. when selling it to a secondhand dealer. This is of course what happens for SC05 cars -- but he said it also happens to SC01 cars (the code where FUSC is meant to be "for life of the car"). The only way to retain FUSC is to do what the OP of this thread describes: transfer the Tesla account, rather than removing it from one account and claiming ownership via another.

It does seem to me that Tesla are undermining the value of cars sold with FUSC "for life of the car". Given what the Tesla agent told me today (and assuming it is true), no secondhand dealer should be selling a car with the assertion that FUSC is transferable.

It's not clear to me what recourse I have here...

I've been fighting with Tesla about this issue today, to no avail. I bought a 2017 Model S, registered on 28 March 2017; purchase from a secondhand dealer who advertised it as FUSC. The charging screen says "no recent supercharging" -- indicating the car did have FUSC with the previous owner (in line with this). The "details" screen however now says "pay-per-use supercharging".

The discussion with the Tesla agent today was super revealing. He said that FUSC gets cancelled when the current owner "removes" the car from his/her Tesla account, e.g. when selling it to a secondhand dealer. This is of course what happens for SC05 cars -- but he said it also happens to SC01 cars (the code where FUSC is meant to be "for life of the car"). The only way to retain FUSC is to do what the OP of this thread describes: transfer the Tesla account, rather than removing it from one account and claiming ownership via another.

It does seem to me that Tesla are undermining the value of cars sold with FUSC "for life of the car". Given what the Tesla agent told me today (and assuming it is true), no secondhand dealer should be selling a car with the assertion that FUSC is transferable.

It's not clear to me what recourse I have here...

You need to seek recourse with the secondhand dealer since they advertised the car with FUSC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
but he said it also happens to SC01 cars (the code where FUSC is meant to be "for life of the car").
Wow! That's illegal.
The only way to retain FUSC
...not the only way.
is to do what the OP of this thread describes: transfer the Tesla account, rather than removing it from one account and claiming ownership via another.
I have heard of people having success by contacting Tesla to threaten them by letting them know that they are violating their contracted terms if they remove that permanent "for the life of the car" Supercharging.

I’m at the supercharger now. Finally got my 75D!
I’m adding the car to my account. I’m worried that I’ll lose the Highway Autopilot and/or the Premium Connectivity when it transfers to my account. Lol

If it’s an AP1 car with “Highway Autopilot” you should be OK. There have been reported of people losing EAP or FSD on AP2-and-above cars, reverting to “Basic Autopilot”, although I haven’t been tracking them very carefully.

Your Premium Connectivity should also be fine.

Let us know whether you keep your FUSC once the car is safely in your Tesla account - it’ll be another helpful data point.

And congrats on the car!