Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about having private number plates on collection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered private registration number for my M3 which I have retention documents for. I am due to pick up this Friday and I have been given the original registration from Tesla. I have contacted Tesla to ask them to make my private registration plates for me which I know is available at Heathrow service centre, where I will be going. My question is what registration number should I use for the insurance on collection? If I use their original registration and they manage to produce my private plates for me in time for me to drive home in them, then the registration on my insurance papers will be wrong. Same goes if I use the private number on my insurance and they cannot make the plates on time for me to use to drive home. Also, do I have to have the car's assigned number on the insurance in order to collect? Any advice?

As I understand it, you will need to stick with the Tesla plate until you get your V5 a week or so later. With that, you can then do your transfer and put your new plates on. Until that happens, its the Tesla reg for insurance etc.

Seems to be a bit of a lottery how much second set of plates cost. Some got them free, I was told £40, some £25 etc etc. Typical Tesla story of inconsistent info/treatment.

Reactions: KennethS and Roy W.
I've ordered private registration number for my M3 which I have retention documents for. I am due to pick up this Friday and I have been given the original registration from Tesla. I have contacted Tesla to ask them to make my private registration plates for me which I know is available at Heathrow service centre, where I will be going. My question is what registration number should I use for the insurance on collection? If I use their original registration and they manage to produce my private plates for me in time for me to drive home in them, then the registration on my insurance papers will be wrong. Same goes if I use the private number on my insurance and they cannot make the plates on time for me to use to drive home. Also, do I have to have the car's assigned number on the insurance in order to collect? Any advice?

How did you manage to get the registration? I have been told I can't get it until 24/48 hours before collection, which is also on Friday for me, from Stockport.

How did you manage to get the registration? I have been told I can't get it until 24/48 hours before collection, which is also on Friday for me, from Stockport.
Firstly, thank you VanillaAir_UK for the information.
In answer to m3gt2, I got a call around 3.30 this afternoon from Tesla to confirm my delivery time. Then he mentioned my registration number which surprised me as I too thought it would only be available just before collection. It's good since I can sort out my insurance now. Maybe it's because I'm collecting from Heathrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
The question is which number are they using to register the car with with the DVLA. If it's their one then that is the one you don't swap it over until you get the V5. If Tesla on the other hand are actually using your regnum to first register the vehicle ( this is perfectly possible to do) then that is the one you use.

Thanks for clarifying Jason71. I realised as soon as VanillaAir_UK mentioned the V5 that I wouldn't be able to use the new plates until the registration papers came through. As Tesla won't registrate the private numbers for you, it means I will have to use the Tesla assigned registration on collection. They just have a number plate printing service if you bring the retention papers.So to those who are thinking of buying private registration, you will still need to register the Tesla assigned number on your insurance until the new V5 papers get returned to you. Then it's a matter of calling your insurance to inform them of the number change.
A question for those who have had their own number plates printed at the Tesla service centres. How easy are they to fit yourselves?

Reactions: Mervyn