Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about if a car is M3P or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at upgrading my silver M3 RWD and I think I've found a silver M3 performance. It doesn't have a badge, but I've attached a picture of the software screen. Does the red underline indicate it's a performance model? Is there anything else I can check? Seller is a dealership that has it listed as AWD.

IMG_1371~2.jpg

I'm looking at upgrading my silver M3 RWD and I think I've found a silver M3 performance. It doesn't have a badge, but I've attached a picture of the software screen. Does the red underline indicate it's a performance model? Is there anything else I can check? Seller is a dealership that has it listed as AWD.

View attachment 710811

Yes, the red underline means it’s a performance model. Good luck with your purchase! You’re going to love it. :)

Upvote 0
Quoting Mike D to my dismay, it's a "stealth" meaning that it has the Performance motor, software, underline, and track mode, but not the brakes, spoiler, wheels, pedals, or supposedly lower suspension. There was a time when Performance models were sold this way and you could choose to upgrade the wheels/spoiler/etc. and then there was a time when you could buy a regular AWD model and purchase a software upgrade. Yours is likely the latter so it probably says AWD on the title and would be considered an AWD for insurance purposes.

• Informative
Reactions: techlogik
Upvote 0

View attachment 710811
Can you ask them to open "Additional vehicle information"? Also, maybe I am dumb, but isn't the VIN number give you the model specification?

Upvote 0
Can you ask them to open "Additional vehicle information"? Also, maybe I am dumb, but isn't the VIN number give you the model specification?
Seems to be the 8th digit:

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Upvote 0
Seems to be the 8th digit:
Depends on the year. Early 3Ps did not have distinguishing identifiers in the VIN versus the AWD.

Beyond the red underline under “Dual Motor”, the other place to check is to see if the car has Track Mode. All 3Ps (both “stealth” and those with the Performance Upgrade Package) have that mode.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Upvote 0

Not for 2018s it doesnt (source = my own 2018 Model 3 performance, which has a vin that according to vin decoders is an AWD). That red underline, on the vehicle screen, as far as I know is definitive on performance models.

the badging on the trunk lid doesnt matter, but the software showing that red underline = performance, regardless of the what the vin decoders say, for at least 2018 models and possibly 2019.

Upvote 0
Sweet, thanks for all the info! I suspected it was a stealth M3P but was worried about some other option possibly adding the underline. I plan on taking a look at it today so I'll look at the additional info and look for track mode.
I asked this very question a couple of months ago and "planned on taking a look at it" one day. Needless to say I was so impressed I ended up purchasing it that day. You're going to love how it drives.

Upvote 0
I asked this very question a couple of months ago and "planned on taking a look at it" one day. Needless to say I was so impressed I ended up purchasing it that day. You're going to love how it drives.
I've narrowed it down to either this M3P without FSD or a 2019 blue AWD with EAP. Surprisingly the 2019 is about 4 grand cheaper. I'm leaning towards the silver though because it seems like it's a rarer configuration and something I might enjoy more. On the other hand the AWD can be upgraded with AB bringing it closer to the M3P.

I really like that the silver is a stealth though, so it just might be a FSD subscription in my future.

Upvote 0
I've narrowed it down to either this M3P without FSD or a 2019 blue AWD with EAP. Surprisingly the 2019 is about 4 grand cheaper. I'm leaning towards the silver though because it seems like it's a rarer configuration and something I might enjoy more. On the other hand the AWD can be upgraded with AB bringing it closer to the M3P.

I really like that the silver is a stealth though, so it just might be a FSD subscription in my future.

I wish they still made the silver, I’d have gone for that color for sure. Good luck!

Tim

Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0

I'd guess a silver p3d- is about the most rare config out there

Upvote 0
Yeah if it is silver and a stealth, then likely it is a 2018 car? When they sold stealth the second time I think it was after silver was discontinued. I'm guessing they know it is a stealth since it is listed at a higher price, but list as AWD since that is what the VIN decoder says on the 2018 stealths.

Upvote 0
Yeah silver was a great color and now that it's so rare it really differentiates your car from the inevitable sea of white Teslas. They didn't make a lot of 2018's so there weren't many changes for 2019 but the front seats were updated at some point so you might want to compare the comfort.
Note that FSD is very much in it's infancy and will require an additional $1000 computer replacement. EAP is even more primitive and is now orphaned as well, the only valuable feature it offers is the ability to awkwardly change lanes.

Upvote 0
Yeah silver was a great color and now that it's so rare it really differentiates your car from the inevitable sea of white Teslas. They didn't make a lot of 2018's so there weren't many changes for 2019 but the front seats were updated at some point so you might want to compare the comfort.
Note that FSD is very much in it's infancy and will require an additional $1000 computer replacement. EAP is even more primitive and is now orphaned as well, the only valuable feature it offers is the ability to awkwardly change lanes.
Yeah, I was disappointed that the silver only had autopilot, but that's better than having to upgrade from autopilot with safety features to regular autopilot to fsd.

The current car has FSD and even though it doesn't add all that much, I think I would miss it.

Upvote 0