Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about insurance for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to take delivery of my M3 on the 29th of January. I am located in North Carolina. My auto policy is set to expire on the 31st, so I have two different ID cards (one for the old, and one for the new policy). Tesla is telling me that because the policy numbers change when it expires they aren't able to use this. My insurance is telling me that this is how it always works in their system. I've wasted about an hour on the phone with each trying to figure this out and Tesla has basically told me either get new insurance or delivery needs to be delayed (which I'm not even sure they would be willing to do?).

Has anyone else had this issue before? If so, how did you resolve it? It seems absurd to have to get new insurance when I have a policy where I am already covered.

I am scheduled to take delivery of my M3 on the 29th of January. I am located in North Carolina. My auto policy is set to expire on the 31st, so I have two different ID cards (one for the old, and one for the new policy). Tesla is telling me that because the policy numbers change when it expires they aren't able to use this. My insurance is telling me that this is how it always works in their system. I've wasted about an hour on the phone with each trying to figure this out and Tesla has basically told me either get new insurance or delivery needs to be delayed (which I'm not even sure they would be willing to do?).

Has anyone else had this issue before? If so, how did you resolve it? It seems absurd to have to get new insurance when I have a policy where I am already covered.
I haven't personally experienced this scenario, but have heard about similar Tesla insurance delivery challenges from others.
In your case, I would just delay delivery by 2 days to make the problem auto-resolve itself. Same as you would if you were busy on that day.

It is unfortunate that Tesla is inflexible and not excessively customer focused, but you are unlikely to change that.
Sometimes, it's just not worth fighting the city call.

a

Reactions: DFW_MVP