TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about Longevity

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hazelwood, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

I know there are quite a few on here who have owned their cars for quite some time so I thought I'd ask about longevity of the car. My reason for asking is I have a 2 month old Tesla now (where does time go..they grow up so fast) and I had to take it into the service center to adjust the roof rack mount point. They gave me a loaner (which I assume was a 2014 or maybe 2015) with 25k miles on it. The car was horrible! Had that been the car I tested before I bought I would have never purchased one. It was an 85 and the rear motor had an annoying electric whine when the throttle was applied (was hard to not type gas pedal), the brake pedal squeaked, and the wind noise was surprising. It quickly got me to thinking, ack this car is only a few years old with only 25k miles...what happened. Needless to say I got mine back the same day and was sooo much happier. Now I know loaners get beat up (not sure why people don't take care of loaners but it happens irrespective of brand), but this one was pretty bad. I'm also surprised, being this was a service center, they hadn't fixed the car up. Do I have this to look forward to after a year or two?

2. alexdav

alexdav Member

You've just witnessed the improvements made to the car over the years :)

It's not degradation of quality of the vehicle... just improvements made to the hardware. I noticed the same thing when I got a loaner. I was amazed at the night and day difference in quality in my 90D versus the 2013-ish 85 that was loaned to me.

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Mines held up well for 2 yrs FWIW. The whine is fixable, the squeak is fixable. There is a marked improvement in build quality with the higher VINs. VINs less than ~30k or so were works in progress. Remember the MS is the first car Tesla ever mass manufactured. The roadsters were one-offs and hand built.

4. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Fantastic, that's what I was thinking/hoping. I was truly amazed at the night and day difference.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Im early Signature P 85. The only issues I have are the seat squeak and pano noise (which is fixable with lubing the seating area).

So, I have a 90D waiting for me and Im hoping they improved the sound damping ..which was a gripe from the start.

6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I think being a loaner (and/or luck of the draw) has a lot more to do with it than the age.

We have a 2012 Model S with 75k miles that will be four years old tomorrow. It is still very smooth and quiet, in fact better than the 2015 inventory car (former service loaner, I assume) that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

I recently sold a 7-year-old Roadster with 59k miles. Sure, it was noisy, but it came that way. As far as I could tell it did not degrade at all while I owned it.

Tesla does not seem to look for issues to fix on inventory cars until a few days before they are to be delivered to a buyer (which sometimes delays delivery).

• Like x 1
  7. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

We're coming up on our third year of Model S ownership (a 2013 P85 then a 2014 P85D) and I think we've put about 60,000 miles on the two cars (probably a bit more, but I don't remember the miles at trade in on the first one). The build quality in the first P85 was not very good. The P85D is better than the P85, but there are a lot of squeaks, rattles, wind noise issues, etc. that continue as the car gets older.

I don't think any of the issues are cause for great alarm if you understand that a Model S is not a luxury car and the build quality/quality of appointments is more akin to something that you'd get from a major automaker at $30-50k. In other words, the cars don't fall apart, they just aren't chock full of quality to begin with.

I have two much older vehicles (an 8 year old VW and a 7 year old Ford F150) with more miles than the P85D that have held up better than the P85D (I paid $15k for the VW, new), but again, the Tesla isn't falling apart, it's just not as well built as the other vehicles. Rattles, squeaks, and other annoying, but not fundamental, problems are common in our two Teslas.

• Like x 1