Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Michelin Primacy MXMW 245/45R19 tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
In September 2016 I had to buy new Michelin Primacy MXMW 245/45R19 98W BSW tires at around the 30,000 mile point even though they were warrantied for 45,000 miles. I got a pro-rated warranty credit from Discount Tire at the time. They charged me $296 each.

Here it is May 2018 and I need new tires. I have only put 30,000 miles on the NEW replacement tires and the rears are at 2/32 and the fronts at 4/32. I took 'em in to get them rotated one last time and they won't rotate 'em.

Here is the question:
I noticed Michelin is now selling these exact tires DIRECT for $218.99 each. I paid $296 each (WITH a big discount) in 2016!

So, how would a warranty credit work this time? If the replacement tire list price is substantially less than the old tires, how will it work?

Anyone been in this situation?

In September 2016 I had to buy new Michelin Primacy MXMW 245/45R19 98W BSW tires at around the 30,000 mile point even though they were warrantied for 45,000 miles. I got a pro-rated warranty credit from Discount Tire at the time. They charged me $296 each.

Here it is May 2018 and I need new tires. I have only put 30,000 miles on the NEW replacement tires and the rears are at 2/32 and the fronts at 4/32. I took 'em in to get them rotated one last time and they won't rotate 'em.

Here is the question:
I noticed Michelin is now selling these exact tires DIRECT for $218.99 each. I paid $296 each (WITH a big discount) in 2016!

So, how would a warranty credit work this time? If the replacement tire list price is substantially less than the old tires, how will it work?

Anyone been in this situation?
Your cost has just been lowered. I replace mine every year at 12K miles and your cost goes down if the tire does too.

I guess if I didnt get a full $296 X 4 worth of use out of these tires then I should get a refund/credit for some amount, based on a formula like:

30,000 miles actual use / 45,000 miles warranteed = 2/3 of the full use of the tires

so therefore I should get 1/3 of the amount I paid (1176 * .33) which is $388.08

If the new tires cost $218.99 from Michelin, that's 875.96 for four,
minus $388.08 for the credit

for a total of $487.88 total for the new tires.

That's what I wanna see.

After researching different options for a couple weeks I just plunked my money down yesterday on Michelin Primacy MXMW 245/45R19 98W BSW to replace the original set of OE tires (exactly the same tire came on the car in 2014). I am basically happy with the tire with very few trade-offs in my areas of need, plus I know what to expect. They're fairly quiet, sold as a low rolling resistance tire (energy / green symbol) so won't suck my range down from what I'm familiar with, and have great road manners for the kind of driving I do.

Today the car has 126,000 km (78,000 miles) on it but I swap out wheel sets for winters, so I got 3 "half years" out of the OE set - really shot at the end of last summer when I took them off. Assume half of 126Kkm was on this set, that's about 40,000 miles on the originals. Close to the 45K warranty mark.

I wouldn't expect much from tire warranties about tread wear... this is a consumable item and it depends so much on car, alignment, driver habit, daily care (psi), etc.. Anything offered back for premature wear is "goodwill" for the brand or store who's offering it. Tesla RWD cars are probably the tire wear nightmare scenario for these manufacturers, what with the weight, torque and regen. When I got this car I knew I'd be going through more rubber than any other car and it's holding true.

Costco online (Canada site) sells Michelin Primacy MXMW 245/45R19 98W BSW for CAD$308. Just bought a set yesterday. They give a $70 rebate on a set of 4... which basically goes back to Costco for the installation charges. So, "free installation", and of course Costco has free lifetime flat repair, maybe even rotations.. but I do my own rotations.

Last edited: