Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model 3 Keyfob V2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this post.

Question, I’m assuming with the V2 key Model 3 key fob, with passive entry and exit, this also means when you get inside the version 2 key fob starts the car as well? You dont need to put key card in front of arm rest to start it or the key fob to do that?

I use the app on my phone but looking for something for family member to use without having to have them install it on their phone under my account.

Thx

Reactions: TBrownTX
(moderator note: post you resurrected was not specific to V2, so I moved your post to its own thread, and changed the thread title)

===================================

Neither version of the official tesla model 3 keyfob will require a keycard to start the vehicle. The difference is, the version 1 keyfob (non passive) will require a press of the button to unlock the car, and the car can be started by stepping on the brake within a couple minutes. The version 2 (passive) will not require the press of the button.

Neither require the keycard, and both would be appropriate to let someone drive your car without giving them access to your vehicle via the tesla app.

^what he said^ The fob is great, just walk up, open door, get in, press brake, put in gear, go. When you're done driving, just get out and walk away. Pretty much the same as a phone, but works 100% of the time. Also opening the frunk or trunk from the fob is considerably easier than using your phone. And if you want to let someone else drive your car, it's very similar to many other cars fob experience, no need for complicated explanations, just hand them the fob.

How to tell the difference between fob version 1 and 2 (click on the Model 3 Key Fob link):

With the fob, it doesn't do a honk when it unlocks, only when it locks. And I'm not sure, but I think there's a setting to disable that (or there was?).
Note that that might be true for the passive (Rev 2) fob. For the original version 1 fob, unlocking is done by pressing twice on the top. On my car that results in a double honk to indicate the unlock command was received.

Reactions: sduck
Funny enough that I just went across Australian Tesla website and saw that the description for our key fob is for V1 non passive entry one, thus I sent the email to Tesla and asked them if it is true, they replied me saying the following
Screenshot_20210629-123504_Email.jpg

which I think Tesla is treating us as the third world in EV market and trying to get rid of all their remaining stock of V1 key fobs to Austrlian market.

I browsed through all other countries Telsa shop and found that all their model 3 key fobs are the V2 passive entry in descriptions.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX