Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about model 3 order in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok bought an inventory 3LR AWD in silver, white interior, sport wheels. It must have been a test drive car because it has 1k miles and they took 2800 off. The MSRP was under 50 before discount so I’ll get the rebate. Going to Eatontown DMV tomorrow to change the D/L. For 5 grand I’ll sit around for a while. It’s local and I can get it tomorrow which means I get the 1 year super charging.

Ok bought an inventory 3LR AWD in silver, white interior, sport wheels. It must have been a test drive car because it has 1k miles and they took 2800 off. The MSRP was under 50 before discount so I’ll get the rebate. Going to Eatontown DMV tomorrow to change the D/L. For 5 grand I’ll sit around for a while. It’s local and I can get it tomorrow which means I get the 1 year super charging.

Congratulations! You’re gonna love it. Fantastic car; can’t wait to see some photos!

Reactions: Zer0t

I dont know NJ laws, but in general you want to make sure the car can be registered as NEW. Cars with miles can be "new" or "used". You want to Make SURE your car is actually being registered as "new" (which is a legal distinction on whether it was registered to a consumer before).

In CA, any rebates only apply to NEW vehicles (although those can have miles as long as they can be registered as new).

@dmurphy probably knows whether it applies only to new vehicles or both new and used. We have seen people get "bitten" here by not understanding that their car with the small discount was actually used from a legal / registration perspective, and in your case if NJ only applies that rebate to new, that would be a 5k mistake.

Just check the registration before you drive off with it and make sure it says new.

I dont know NJ laws, but in general you want to make sure the car can be registered as NEW. Cars with miles can be "new" or "used". You want to Make SURE your car is actually being registered as "new" (which is a legal distinction on whether it was registered to a consumer before).

You are 100% correct of course. It MUST be a new vehicle; NJ rebates do not apply to used vehicles. As long as it was not titled here in NJ, it's considered new - that means a demo vehicle, etc. (For edification: Although the rebate only applies to new vehicle - the NJ sales tax waiver DOES apply to used vehicles... just for sake of completeness.)

As long as you bought from NEW (or what Tesla calls "Existing") inventory and not USED inventory, you should be fine. But as @jjrandorin said - best to double check with your delivery advisor!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I mentioned it because @Zer0t mentioned that he was getting a car "with a 2800 discount and 1k miles". It is "likely" a demo car, but could also be a customer return. We have seen people get bitten here by not paying attention to the fact that the registration says "used" on it.

OP, ask the person who is helping you purchase the car (the tesla sales advisor) to verify that the car will be registered as NEW. Also, when you arrive to pick it up, ask the delivery advisor again, that it would be titled as "new" and ensure that you actually look at the registration paperwork that it states new. If it doesnt, "stop, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars" (lol). This is not a "paperwork issue that can be corrected later".

The car has either been sold to a customer and returned (used, regardless of miles) or has not (new, regardless of miles).

Maybe you know all this, but for anyone who doesnt, its important when dealing with things like rebates. Since this rebate in NJ is such a large amount,. people there should be exceptionally careful to make sure they cross all their "T"s and dot their "i's" so to speak.

I mentioned it because @Zer0t mentioned that he was getting a car "with a 2800 discount and 1k miles". It is "likely" a demo car, but could also be a customer return. We have seen people get bitten here by not paying attention to the fact that the registration says "used" on it.

OP, ask the person who is helping you purchase the car (the tesla sales advisor) to verify that the car will be registered as NEW. Also, when you arrive to pick it up, ask the delivery advisor again, that it would be titled as "new" and ensure that you actually look at the registration paperwork that it states new. If it doesnt, "stop, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars" (lol). This is not a "paperwork issue that can be corrected later".

The car has either been sold to a customer and returned (used, regardless of miles) or has not (new, regardless of miles).

Maybe you know all this, but for anyone who doesnt, its important when dealing with things like rebates. Since this rebate in NJ is such a large amount,. people there should be exceptionally careful to make sure they cross all their "T"s and dot their "i's" so to speak.
It was a demo car but it doesn't matter because the deal fell through. It seems that changed their mind about moving the car from MD to NJ because there was a customer local who could pick it up today, end of quarter, rather than transporting it to NJ. It was really crappy. They called me a couple hours ago and said if you can get here today you can have the car if not, you're screwed. So I had to pass, unhappily, and they didn't even attempt to match me with a car near my address that I could possibly pick up. I called the Springfield Center and explained what happened and they have a demo car (960 miles) that they will give me for the same price as it's similarly equipped only blue (my first choice color). I will make sure it is not used when I before I go there given this heads up and I am leasing it. I really want to get my 5k rebate which really tilted me to buy another Tesla.

I was just expecting better treatment for a two time Model S owner and energy customer. Tesla lived up to their poor marks on customer service today. I will give high marks to Matthew in Springfield for stepping in and finding a similar deal on no notice for me.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It was a demo car but it doesn't matter because the deal fell through. It seems that changed their mind about moving the car from MD to NJ because there was a customer local who could pick it up today, end of quarter, rather than transporting it to NJ. It was really crappy. They called me a couple hours ago and said if you can get here today you can have the car if not, you're screwed. So I had to pass, unhappily, and they didn't even attempt to match me with a car near my address that I could possibly pick up. I called the Springfield Center and explained what happened and they have a demo car (960 miles) that they will give me for the same price as it's similarly equipped only blue (my first choice color). I will make sure it is not used when I before I go there given this heads up and I am leasing it. I really want to get my 5k rebate which really tilted me to buy another Tesla.

I was just expecting better treatment for a two time Model S owner and energy customer. Tesla lived up to their poor marks on customer service today. I will give high marks to Matthew in Springfield for stepping in and finding a similar deal on no notice for me.

That kind of sucks, yeah... but its something just about any car dealer would do. Usually people start saying "tesla is supposed to be different!" but in a lot of ways, they are the same.

As long as the sales are being counted by individual stores (and likely managers of those stores getting bonuses, and employees of those stores getting bonuses), based on number of units sold, things like this will happen. I am not saying its right, because it sucks, I would expect better treatment as well, especially as a person who they can check your account and see you have a history with the company already (that should matter, although many would tell you it shouldnt, I believe it absolutely should, since that shows you not a "potential customer, but an "existing, long time customer")

Anyway, glad you found something to else, and good luck picking it up!

Ugh they called and said the blue one has body damage so I passed but now they found a black one with white interior. I’ll take it! 3rd time the charm? ;)

I know you are excited, but its too expensive a purchase to "settle" in my opinion. If thats what you want, go for it, but dont buy it because you are caught up in the "new car" emotional dopamine high that comes when we get excited about getting something new.

My own opinion, worth exactly what you are paying for it (which is zero, lol)

In any case, good luck!

Reactions: hlin07
Ugh they called and said the blue one has body damage so I passed but now they found a black one with white interior. I’ll take it! 3rd time the charm? ;)

Sorry you're going through this ... it definitely sucks!

I'll say - in my personal opinion .... the people in "inside sales" - the folks in the call centers in Las Vegas and CA... I don't think they really give it their all. They're rather indifferent and like you said - "too bad so sad" from them.

HOWEVER - we have two phenomenal centers nearby in Springfield and Paramus. Both are exception; they have really hard working, dedicated staff. Great service centers also. I share none of the negative experiences we see posted at TMF; we're very lucky that both centers are really top notch.

Picked up my X yesterday at Paramus and couldn't be more pleased. Detailed out beautifully, not a thing to complain about. Car looks and drives amazingly well. Always a great experience there!

One of the few good things about living in NJ, environmentally friendly policies.
The 5k plus no sales tax makes the base model 3 a no-brainer compared to say Accord or Camry.
Sorry you're going through this ... it definitely sucks!

I'll say - in my personal opinion .... the people in "inside sales" - the folks in the call centers in Las Vegas and CA... I don't think they really give it their all. They're rather indifferent and like you said - "too bad so sad" from them.

HOWEVER - we have two phenomenal centers nearby in Springfield and Paramus. Both are exception; they have really hard working, dedicated staff. Great service centers also. I share none of the negative experiences we see posted at TMF; we're very lucky that both centers are really top notch.

Picked up my X yesterday at Paramus and couldn't be more pleased. Detailed out beautifully, not a thing to complain about. Car looks and drives amazingly well. Always a great experience there!
What happened to your 3 Performance? It's barely a year since you bought it..

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
One of the few good things about living in NJ, environmentally friendly policies.
The 5k plus no sales tax makes the base model 3 a no-brainer compared to say Accord or Camry.

I think @dmurphy has an AWD model 3, and ditched his "deer molested" ICE SUV for the model X, after his wife got used to driving his model 3.

That sound about right, @dmurphy ? :D

It's only a lowly LR AWD, but it's doing great! 18,685 miles, still 305 miles on a full charge. Best car I've ever owned, and then some!

The X belongs to my wife. Here they are, side by side....

I think @dmurphy has an AWD model 3, and ditched his "deer molested" ICE SUV for the model X, after his wife got used to driving his model 3.

That sound about right, @dmurphy ? :D

Spot on (of course!) - that Buick became an albatross. Had to go - I seriously was losing sleep over it. Finally feeling better about it all! Taking the X to a drive-in movie tonight... we'd normally take the 3, but that windshield on the X is spectacular. :)

I have a line on a black car with white interior. I can't get it today so if it doesn't get delivered I can have it Thursday local to me.

I agree @dmurphy the folks in Springfield have been the group helping me. A+

Awesome! Believe me, the Springfield folks will do anything in their power to get that car to you today if at all possible. It's the last day for Q2 deliveries, and they're right on the cusp of S&P 500 inclusion. Every single car matters right now... so, from the bottom of my TSLA-heavy retirement fund, I thank you. ;-)

IMG_5801.jpeg

It's only a lowly LR AWD, but it's doing great! 18,685 miles, still 305 miles on a full charge. Best car I've ever owned, and then some!

Spot on (of course!) - that Buick became an albatross. Had to go - I seriously was losing sleep over it. Finally feeling better about it all! Taking the X to a drive-in movie tonight... we'd normally take the 3, but that windshield on the X is spectacular. :)

Awesome! Believe me, the Springfield folks will do anything in their power to get that car to you today if at all possible. It's the last day for Q2 deliveries, and they're right on the cusp of S&P 500 inclusion. Every single car matters right now... so, from the bottom of my TSLA-heavy retirement fund, I thank you. ;-)

View attachment 558719
They look great together. My wife’s Raven S is the white and I really like it.

I just did a model 3 perf in NJ got an early June delivery. NJ incentives are good. Didn’t know about the free supercharging for a year though. I’ve been paying for supercharging. How do I get that? Thx!
In the Tesla app click on the wheel (settings) "Loot Box" to find out if Tesla gave you 1000 miles supercharge for 6 months., if you don't. Call Tesla to add it to your account.

View attachment 558719
Sorry about the loss of Buster.