Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about model 3 order in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the process of configuring a model 3, turns out they are 8-12 weeks wait, so I looked for in stock vehicles to match my configuration and found two in NYC-metro and one in DC with no delivery charge to my home in Monmouth county, NJ. However, the configured vehicles show a $5,000.00 rebate from the state of NJ. Anyone have a clue what this is? Today being Sunday there is no one to speak to so,I thought I’d try here to see if I could get the answer or wait till tomorrow.
Cheers and have a great Sunday.

I recently took an in-stock model 3 delivery in NJ and all above are accurate.

1. You will have to make sure your car MSRP is below $55,000 (Excluding doc, transportation fee) - Even exact $55k will be ineligible
2. You will have to send a rebate form to NJ after your registration is done and they will mail you $5k
3. No sales tax
4. FSD after delivery is tax applicable and it's $463.75
5. If you take delivery this month(June), you will get 1 year free supercharging

Thanks all I was curious why it didn’t show on in stock. So I’ll order without FSD to keep it under 55k but unfortunately can’t do a perf now. Not a huge deal because 5k is a 10% discount.

I read the program and didn’t see any income limitations, I’m surprised because this Is NJ. Also I have a Florida D/L but I’m buying this car to register in Nj. I hope I don’t have to change my D/L not that I’d are but Dmv is closed and a disaster in its best day.

I guess I could get a perf in white with black interior. Was holding for red with white but that’s now an 8k vs 3k increase.

Does Tesla negotiate on in stock new vehicles? There’s a blue and a gray perf models in stock in NYC but they are 990 bucks to expensive. I wonder if they’d knock of the cost of the paint and do one of them for 54990 so I could the rebate. I’m not hopeful because Model 3 cars seem to be way long lead time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I just did a model 3 perf in NJ got an early June delivery. NJ incentives are good. Didn’t know about the free supercharging for a year though. I’ve been paying for supercharging. How do I get that? Thx!

You don’t. To qualify for the free year of supercharging you had to take delivery of an inventory vehicle from about a week ago till the end of June.

Thanks all I was curious why it didn’t show on in stock. So I’ll order without FSD to keep it under 55k but unfortunately can’t do a perf now. Not a huge deal because 5k is a 10% discount.

I read the program and didn’t see any income limitations, I’m surprised because this Is NJ. Also I have a Florida D/L but I’m buying this car to register in Nj. I hope I don’t have to change my D/L not that I’d are but Dmv is closed and a disaster in its best day.

I guess I could get a perf in white with black interior. Was holding for red with white but that’s now an 8k vs 3k increase.

Does Tesla negotiate on in stock new vehicles? There’s a blue and a gray perf models in stock in NYC but they are 990 bucks to expensive. I wonder if they’d knock of the cost of the paint and do one of them for 54990 so I could the rebate. I’m not hopeful because Model 3 cars seem to be way long lead time.

The rebate is based on MSRP of the vehicle and has to be under $55,000 and not the sales price of the vehicle i.e. after discounts etc.

Reactions: Zer0t
I picked up the car June 12th. So I missed it because it wasn’t an inventory car?

Yes, this is how they incentivize the sale of the inventory models (ie overstock). You take what you can get (color, feature wise) and so are much more limited in what's available and not always able to be shipped. Some people will take their chances and not order their "ideal" car but hope to wait until end of quarter and take delivery before then and hopefully find something that ticks the boxes for them. A gamble but for some, very happy buyers. They will also sometimes run different promos to kick up sales like the free supercharging. It's not always a given though. If you refer someone and they order using your account link, right now you can get 1,000 free supercharging miles (expires in 6 months). That referral promo has been going on since at least end of last year. Watch your Loot Box for the latest promos and read the fine print for conditions. Tesla has been strict on giving referrals awards only through the account link, and not after the fact, so if you do refer someone who buys, be sure they are aware of it. You get 1,000 miles and so does the person buying the car. After June 30, could be a new program will start but don't know so keep an eye on the Loot Box for details (found through the Learn More button).

Reactions: dropgems
Also I have a Florida D/L but I’m buying this car to register in Nj. I hope I don’t have to change my D/L not that I’d are but Dmv is closed and a disaster in its best day.

You will need an NJ driver's license:

One of the requirements in the T&C's here: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Is a copy of your unexpired NJ driver's license.

You also must remain a resident of the state for 2 years after purchase, and maintain ownership of the car for three (excluding, of course, a total loss etc.)

... I'm OK with that. If our tax dollars are going to pay for these incentives, they really should go to residents.

You will need an NJ driver's license:

One of the requirements in the T&C's here: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Is a copy of your unexpired NJ driver's license.

You also must remain a resident of the state for 2 years after purchase, and maintain ownership of the car for three (excluding, of course, a total loss etc.)

... I'm OK with that. If our tax dollars are going to pay for these incentives, they really should go to residents.

What does it mean to be a resident? Does it mean pay taxes on property and income? I do both so does that qualify me? If I didn’t have a residence and plan on keeping the car in NJ why would I inquire about a NJ specific rebate? I have my d/l in Florida, and though it’s more expensive, I do it because doing DMV work with them is a breeze. I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes there for anything. Moreover, how exactly do I get a D/L here with DMV being closed for 3 months?

btw, awesome looking bulldog in the avatar. Big fan. I see you are from Morris County, I lived in Montville for 20 years.

Last edited:
What does it mean to be a resident? Does it mean pay taxes on property and income? I do both so does that qualify me? If I didn’t have a residence and plan on keeping the car in NJ why would I inquire about a NJ specific rebate? I have my d/l in Florida, and though it’s more expensive, I do it because doing DMV work with them is a breeze. I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes there for anything. Moreover, how exactly do I get a D/L here with DMV being closed for 3 months?

btw, awesome looking bulldog in the avatar. Big fan. I see you are from Morris County, I lived in Montville for 20 years.

I would expect that to mean, in their context, that you a) have a NJ Driver's License; and b) Pay income tax here.

Buster sez - thanks much. He's a fantastic dog; they don't breed them any better! Montville is truly 3 minutes from me; I'm right off S. Beverwyck Rd here in Parsippany - practically Whippany, if I throw a baseball hard enough.

I would expect that to mean, in their context, that you a) have a NJ Driver's License; and b) Pay income tax here.

Buster sez - thanks much. He's a fantastic dog; they don't breed them any better! Montville is truly 3 minutes from me; I'm right off S. Beverwyck Rd here in Parsippany - practically Whippany, if I throw a baseball hard enough.
My in-laws live near there in 55 and older place. I think it’s Schindler Ct. know the area well.

My in-laws live near there in 55 and older place. I think it’s Schindler Ct. know the area well.

Oh that's too funny - walking distance from here! If you pass Schindler and turn onto Smith Rd, we're in the "Normandy Village" neighborhood - first left puts you in our development. Stop by for a beer anytime - and now you know where there's a HPWC any time you need it!

Reactions: Andy7 and Zer0t