Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about ordering Plaid from abroad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings everybody!

I am one of the Tesla resellers in Russia (Moscow region, to be specific)

My company sells mainly new 3's from Germany as they are becoming increasingly popular in Russia. But since there are lots of ppl who want "latest and greatest" i thought it would be great to bring the new Plaid to Russia.

I have a buddy who lives in San Jose and works for Lucid, so he is quite "deep" into "ev" world. So i've contacted him to set up the delivery of the Plaid. So he reserved the car when couple of weeks ago when the delivery estimate was set for August.

Now, what he is telling me differs from what i encountered so far when ordering the 3 directly from Tesla in Europe (i order the 3's to my german company) e.g. that you can make Tesla US to deliver you the car with "priority production" (since the production dates have slipped to sept-oct) but you have to pay full price BEFORE the VIN is assigned (he tells me that the full price should be payed within 2-3 days after he completes all the reservatiin details). This is differs from my experience with Tesla Europe which sends me the invoice only after the VIN is assigned with no such thing as "priority" production.

This seemed strange to me so i decided to ask here and would be glad for help!

Thanks!!!

Is he saying you yourself need to pay tesla the full amount of a plaid, directly to Tesla?
Or is he telling you to send HIM the full amount, then he will handle...

if the latter? Watch out...sounds sketchy..

Greetings everybody!

I am one of the Tesla resellers in Russia (Moscow region, to be specific)

My company sells mainly new 3's from Germany as they are becoming increasingly popular in Russia. But since there are lots of ppl who want "latest and greatest" i thought it would be great to bring the new Plaid to Russia.

I have a buddy who lives in San Jose and works for Lucid, so he is quite "deep" into "ev" world. So i've contacted him to set up the delivery of the Plaid. So he reserved the car when couple of weeks ago when the delivery estimate was set for August.

Now, what he is telling me differs from what i encountered so far when ordering the 3 directly from Tesla in Europe (i order the 3's to my german company) e.g. that you can make Tesla US to deliver you the car with "priority production" (since the production dates have slipped to sept-oct) but you have to pay full price BEFORE the VIN is assigned (he tells me that the full price should be payed within 2-3 days after he completes all the reservatiin details). This is differs from my experience with Tesla Europe which sends me the invoice only after the VIN is assigned with no such thing as "priority" production.

This seemed strange to me so i decided to ask here and would be glad for help!

Thanks!!!
First time i hear about this that you pay in full to get the VIP treatment. Just be carefull mate. Good Luck.

Tesla encourages immediate payment. As long as you indicate you will be paying cash, your order will go through, and you can change to financing, etc. up until delivery. I paid nothing except the non-refundable order fee until the day I inspected the car. I agree there is no priority unless perhaps you know Elon Musk. All new orders are currently being held for the S model. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, guys!

So i've talked to him couple of minutes ago and there is some clarification:

the amount Tesla has to be payed after the VIN is assigned but the time to get the VIN assigned takes about 4-5 days according to him. Then the car goes into production.

The "priority production" thing according to him works only if the car is payed in cash (directly to Tesla, of course) Also, the amount can be either a fraction of a price (around 30k) or full price. Either way, the car goes into "priority" production.

Tesla encourages immediate payment. As long as you indicate you will be paying cash, your order will go through, and you can change to financing, etc. up until delivery. I paid nothing except the non-refundable order fee until the day I inspected the car. I agree there is no priority unless perhaps you know Elon Musk. All new orders are currently being held for the S model. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

What is the amount of the non-refunduble order fee? 100$?

Very many Model S owners pay cash, and we do not get any priority order status. Tesla sells all cars they make before they even get to the local Tesla store. If you don't want your Tesla after looking at it when it arrives, they already have another buyer lined up right behind you to buy it. They do not care about or need priority. $100 Order fee. Late 2021 delivery to USA -- maybe.