Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about paying for supercharging for recently purchased car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just purchased a used M3. I'm still currently waiting for the previous owner's bank to release the title and for him to mail it to me. It's in another state, so when it's time to drive it back, I'll have to use Superchargers on the way home. If possible I'm going to try and get the Tesla account transferred into my name, but I've heard sometimes that can take a few days. If that's the case I'll have to drive it home without the account. I take it that supercharging is paid for through the app, but on Tesla's website I noticed it says you can add payment through the car's screen. Is this a possibility? Just wanting to make sure I have a way to charge on the way home.

Have the seller remove their credit card from the account, then when you get ownership and add your car you'll have back charges for SC

Note this is what customer service told me when I was selling a Tesla so as to make sure the new owner's charging wasn't on my card. They claimed Tesla would not disable super charging immediately so there's that - I'd try to get someone (good luck) on the phone to confirm this for you.

Could the seller remove their CC info from the app and add the buyer's credit card? Does the name on the CC have to match the name of the owner? Seems like there are several scenarios where changing the CC could occur. The account would still be in the seller's name until the ownership is transferred, but would be paid by the buyer.

I'm not a Tesla owner (yet) but have similar questions if i purchase a used T from a private party.

Reactions: KerryOH
If you want some extra insurance against a snafu leaving you stranded, you could look into buying, renting, or borrowing Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. This will enable you to use CHAdeMO DC fast chargers should you have problems with Superchargers. They cost $450, so buying one just for this one trip is probably not worth it; but if you regularly travel in areas with spotty Supercharger coverage, or if you live in an apartment and so rely on local public charging, buying one may be worthwhile. I've heard they can be rented, and some local Tesla owners' clubs can help hook you up with one temporarily, but I don't have a URL handy, I'm afraid. Maybe you could post a query on this forum's Midwest/Great Lakes subforum to see if somebody would lend or lease one to you.

Could the seller remove their CC info from the app and add the buyer's credit card? Does the name on the CC have to match the name of the owner? Seems like there are several scenarios where changing the CC could occur. The account would still be in the seller's name until the ownership is transferred, but would be paid by the buyer.

I'm not a Tesla owner (yet) but have similar questions if i purchase a used T from a private party.

This is something I'm curious about, too.

How does Tesla know a car has been transferred to a new owner? Do they get info from state DMV's when the title is transferred?

You send Tesla copy of title and registration with a request to transfer car to your account.

Also removing CC from original owner does not always work if original owner has multiple Tesla’s. Which is what happened in my case selling Model 3 while still having a Model X on my account.

Only way is to let new buyer use original owners account and credit card and remove the car when he gets home.

Whole lot a of trust has to happen between buyer and seller. We got the entire thing done before buyer flew out to me including account transfer. Then he had full control over the car I was driving ;)

Whole lot a of trust has to happen between buyer and seller. We got the entire thing done before buyer flew out to me including account transfer. Then he had full control over the car I was driving ;)

Yeah, that won't work for me. I'm not going to send someone a pile of money and trust the car will be perfect. I may need to fly a couple of states away to buy a car. I want to do an inspection and test drive, hand the guy some money and get a title or some assurance the title will come from his financial institution and drive away in my new (to me) car.

I need to wrap my head around how to charge the car on my trip home.

My apologies to the OP for stealing this thread - hopefully they got their situation figured out.:D

Yeah, that won't work for me. I'm not going to send someone a pile of money and trust the car will be perfect. I may need to fly a couple of states away to buy a car. I want to do an inspection and test drive, hand the guy some money and get a title or some assurance the title will come from his financial institution and drive away in my new (to me) car.

I need to wrap my head around how to charge the car on my trip home.

My apologies to the OP for stealing this thread - hopefully they got their situation figured out.:D

It boils down to how many flights does the buyer want to make. We did it in one, it was completely done when he arrived. We did extensive FaceTime to go over every square inch. That was the only way if buyer wanted to take one trip.

You have to make two flights if you want it properly registered (which implies properly insured as well) and inspected (in person) before payment. If a bank holds a title that could take a week or more between paying it off and getting title. My case had no loan and I had the title. You need title to register it.

I don’t trust anyone driving the car registered my name or covered under my policy.

I prefer not get a bank or cashiers then hand someone the title and drive away. How do you know the Check is good. Wire transfers are not instant and may not go through on weekends.

So to me, everything is the same with or without supercharging. They are not driving away unless registered and insured. And if registered and insured you have everything you need to transfer accounts (we did transfer of accounts in 1/2 a day ;)). But if you can’t transfer accounts in time. Add buyer as guest. Let them prepay some supercharging and cut them off if they exceed it. They will have to trust owner with master account until it’s transferred.

Between being remote distance and the account it gets complicated. If local you have lots of other options. Like delivery the car and take your plates.

The app really doesn't have anything to do with paying for the SC. That is handled through the online account.

The app really doesn't have anything to do with paying for the SC. That is handled through the online account.

I think folks are implicitly implying that. Who owns the account, who has what access to the account and who’s credit card is on the account. And are there multiple cars on that account. The app is just access to the account.