Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about perpendicular parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery soon. I've read the owners manuel and latest release notes.
I can not find anything that describes perpendicular parking while outside the vehicle. Yet, at the end of this video(6:55), this guy does just that. Is this feature only available in Europe? Or am I just missing it?

Taking delivery soon. I've read the owners manuel and latest release notes.
I can not find anything that describes perpendicular parking while outside the vehicle. Yet, at the end of this video(6:55), this guy does just that. Is this feature only available in Europe? Or am I just missing it?

You can't do that with autopark. You can go forward and backward outside the car or even park it in your garage but what this guy did was a trick.

So, I messaged the poster and asked who he was able to perpendicular park outside the vehicle. msnow, you were correct, he tricked the car into thinking he was inside.
His response:
"----- ------ you can do this all over the world, but it's not recommended. You trick the car to think that you are inside, when you're not."
I'm now curious as to how he did it.
His clearly to large to slip through the window of the model S as its moving.
Must be another way...

So, I messaged the poster and asked who he was able to perpendicular park outside the vehicle. msnow, you were correct, he tricked the car into thinking he was inside.
His response:
"----- ------ you can do this all over the world, but it's not recommended. You trick the car to think that you are inside, when you're not."
Must be another way...
Yeah, very curious.

His response:
Must be another way...

The seatbelt is on...he probably also used a weight to trick the seat sensor.

Reactions: Cooksomerice
it's not summon - it's a perpendicular autopark. different things

I think if you look closely starting around 7:33 when the video cuts away from him getting out of the car to the car moving on its own...
first you'll notice the driver's window was closed when he got of the car but it's open when it cuts to the moving shot. then a couple seconds later you can also see that the seatbelt is still buckled (shoulder belt across the empty seat)

so here's my wild guess theory how he did this
(no idea if this will work & not interested in trying this in my car! and kids! don't try this at home!)

1. put some kind of weight on the drivers seat (sand bag, etc), buckle the seat belt, THEN sit in the drivers seat. open driver's window
2. drive / line up for perpendicular auto park
3. press Start on 17" screen to start the auto park
4. tap the brake to Pause the auto park
***5. get out of the car
6. reach in through the open window, tap "Resume" on the 17" screen
7. start recording video once the car starts rolling; edit and post on youtube

*** I have no idea if autopark will resume after you open the driver's door. If so, perhaps this is a "bug" ?
If autopark won't resume after opening the door, well, then toss out my theory... maybe instead just a trained monkey jumps out of the window after initiating autopark?

BTW, the guy in the video is a buddy of Bjørn (of youtube & Tesla videos fame) named Jørgen - he appears in lots of Bjorn's videos. I bet Bjorn knows the trick used to do this!

it's not summon - it's a perpendicular autopark. different things

I think if you look closely starting around 7:33 when the video cuts away from him getting out of the car to the car moving on its own...
first you'll notice the driver's window was closed when he got of the car but it's open when it cuts to the moving shot. then a couple seconds later you can also see that the seatbelt is still buckled (shoulder belt across the empty seat)

so here's my wild guess theory how he did this
(no idea if this will work & not interested in trying this in my car! and kids! don't try this at home!)

1. put some kind of weight on the drivers seat (sand bag, etc), buckle the seat belt, THEN sit in the drivers seat. open driver's window
2. drive / line up for perpendicular auto park
3. press Start on 17" screen to start the auto park
4. tap the brake to Pause the auto park
***5. get out of the car
6. reach in through the open window, tap "Resume" on the 17" screen
7. start recording video once the car starts rolling; edit and post on youtube

*** I have no idea if autopark will resume after you open the driver's door. If so, perhaps this is a "bug" ?
If autopark won't resume after opening the door, well, then toss out my theory... maybe instead just a trained monkey jumps out of the window after initiating autopark?

BTW, the guy in the video is a buddy of Bjørn (of youtube & Tesla videos fame) named Jørgen - he appears in lots of Bjorn's videos. I bet Bjorn knows the trick used to do this!
You may be onto something although to be honest I couldn't say for sure I detected the window down in that split second at 7:34-35.

You may be onto something although to be honest I couldn't say for sure I detected the window down in that split second at 7:34-35.
screengrab at 7:33: driver's window definitely open. was closed in previous shot before exiting car
Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 11.48.09 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooksomerice
I don't do tricks with my 131K baby. Not worth it.

And I am still chicken to try perp parking even with me in the car. It just seems weird to me. Parallel work like a charm.

Oh, I have gotten so old!:mad:
Getting old is a bitch! But I'm up there in years, myself. Perpendicular park works just as well as parallel parking: theyre both show stoppers and attract quite a bit of attention.