Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about pothole damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DF012C34-1C44-40CF-8D52-DCC7F17E82B8.jpeg
330841A7-6F72-4850-A653-78AD76DDB81C.jpeg
I just noticed this on a rear tire. I don’t know how long I’ve been driving on it, but I’m pretty sure it happened when I hit a pothole about a month ago. The car only has 1500 miles on it.

Now that I know about it, I want to fix it but going to get tires is daunting. First, I’m assuming I need this replaced, but maybe not? Is this something that requires I go to a tesla service center? Also, Is the wheel a patch or replace?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I’d rather sound stupid to you guys than someone selling tires and wheels.

especially if those are 21's @ 45psi

replace tire imediately.

also i would check the rear side of the rim which isnt visible and cross your fingers your limited to that front damage.

Does the rim and tire still hold pressure? .

Yes, they are 21s and it holds pressure. I only had them inflated to 42. There might be a small leak because it’s at 39 right now, but the two front tires were recently low too, so maybe not.

Okay, so it looks like a new tire is a sure thing. I don’t feel comfortable driving on it now that I know about it, but it has been like this for awhile.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue and took it to a tire shop. The guy came and looked st the damage and said that if contained to the protruding rubber the tire is fine. That was six months and many miles ago.

Perhaps a tire shop could take a peek and you might not need a new tire.

I had a similar issue and took it to a tire shop. The guy came and looked st the damage and said that if contained to the protruding rubber the tire is fine. That was six months and many miles ago.

Perhaps a tire shop could take a peek and you might not need a new tire.

That tire is done. If a tire shop even attempts to fix that sidewall damage, you should run away from them.

The cost of that tire is about $200. Basically 4 days of depreciation for your brand new car and it is one of the most important safety devices in your car. Don't take any chances. Replace the tire ASAP and have the rim inspected carefully to make sure there are no cracks.

If I were you, I'd also very carefully have the corresponding front wheel and tire checked as well in case it drove over the same pothole.

Attend to this ASAP.

Reactions: D.E. and texas993
Assuming wheel is not bent/cracked , you can have road rash repaired. There is a mobile wheel repair service that works out of the back lot at Schumacher European .
Cost is around $125. The remaining challenge is can the wheel be balanced.
I run my 21's at 44 lbs.

I purchased a matching rim and tire for our Tesla that we take along when touring. It is also insurance for this type of damage giving time to fix or repair a damaged wheel and tire. If it's only a cosmetic issue I will then use the damaged wheel as the spare.

A set of winter wheels and tires can also be used in an emergency to provide back up.

We had side wall bulges on our BMW with Run Flat Tires. The bulges were caused by hitting potholes but they didn't affect the tire as it was still a run flat with extra thick side wall. As much as I disliked those tires they did have merit when tire damage risk is high. Plugging nail holes was also a DIY process as the run flat tire was still a run flat after it was plugged and refilled.

It has been over 10 years ago when I had the BMW and run flat tires so maybe they have improved. I would think that an extra thick side wall would provide better EV range. Maybe it's time to revisit them.

OK here is why everyone is saying its super dangerous.

Tesla's OEM specs states the tire should be inflated to about 44-45psi cold. (21 inch rims)
That means as you travel, the tire heats up, the air inside heats up, and under heat, air expands, so that psi can climb as high as 50psi.

Usually the typical PSI under most cars is about 32-37 PSI cold...

Now just think balloon.
You got a weaken side wall, under extreme pressure and added on top a car with MASSIVE amounts of torque thanks to its electric motor.
Subject that constantly over and over, and it will eventually go BOOM.

And trust me, the last thing u want is a tire blow out, as under most situations your best level of damages will be, it will just take out your entire side fender or possibly your rear bumper, and thats also not including the loss of that rim.

This should give you an Ideal of how bad a tire blowout is compared to getting just a flat tire..
Ferrari Tire Blowout Shows Dangers of High Speed Driving

430_20090915_001.jpg

Wanna play russian rollute with that tire... go ahead.
But i bet you, when you find out how much it sucks having a wrecked tesla, and waiting for parts on repair is, you'll wish you just paid for that new tire and mounting.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
View attachment 370361 View attachment 370363 I just noticed this on a rear tire. I don’t know how long I’ve been driving on it, but I’m pretty sure it happened when I hit a pothole about a month ago. The car only has 1500 miles on it.

Now that I know about it, I want to fix it but going to get tires is daunting. First, I’m assuming I need this replaced, but maybe not? Is this something that requires I go to a tesla service center? Also, Is the wheel a patch or replace?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I’d rather sound stupid to you guys than someone selling tires and wheels.
That is a pinch shock. Can't be repaired. Note that pinch shocks go hand in hand with low inflation pressures (and they don't have to be too low either). The two cures are add more pressure and put on sensible tires.

That tire is done. If a tire shop even attempts to fix that sidewall damage, you should run away from them.

The cost of that tire is about $200. Basically 4 days of depreciation for your brand new car and it is one of the most important safety devices in your car. Don't take any chances. Replace the tire ASAP and have the rim inspected carefully to make sure there are no cracks.

If I were you, I'd also very carefully have the corresponding front wheel and tire checked as well in case it drove over the same pothole.

Attend to this ASAP.

I replaced it, but lol at it being $200. I shopped around town and couldn’t find it for less than $450.