TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about power steering

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hsctiger93, Oct 14, 2014.

1. hsctiger93

hsctiger93 Member

Took delivery on 5/31 and it's been a terrific 8000 miles.

As with many garages, my MS fits snugly into the one-car garage. When I back out, I have to make some sharp turns to get it out of the driveway. I noticed that if I back out really slowly and turn the wheel hard in one direction, I hear small popping noises not only in reverse, but also going forward. When I don't turn it as hard or go a little faster I don't hear the pops. There's no issue with driving dynamics or turning radius or anything. Anyone hear of this issue before?

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

There were/are reports of "clicking" when turning the steering wheel for some folks that the service center should be able to fix.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Yep, there's a quick and easy fix that involves torqueing down a clamp over the power steering assist motor that will take care of this. Just mention "clicking when turning the steering wheel" and your service center will know what to do.