Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about PPF that was just installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High all,

I just had my M3P PPF over the entire front. This is my first Tesla and my first time ever doing PPF on a car. The PPF was done at a well known South Florida dealer and its IS NOT XPEL but a different brand. This dealer has amazing reviews on Google which is why I went to them,

Should the entire front bumper be one whole piece? It seems like they might of "stitched" together a couple of pieces and there are some added seams on the front quarter panel and front bumper.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 298
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 277
The front lip seam is normal. Some installers like to do custom 1-piece while others use precut and extend edges. Idk what's going on with your front fenders, but the ppf should definitely extend/wrap around the edges.

Reactions: Mark52479
Yes, the front lip seams are normal. I have that on mine, but in no way should there be seams like that on the front fenders. That is just incredibly sloppy work. I've had PPF done on two cars now by a very reputable shop -- Automobilia in CT -- they are actually the highest volume Xpel installer in the country and it shows in their very high quality work.

Should be able to work out a solution to this problem with the installer.
Yes. He agreed to completely redo all the PPF.

So I am hoping it will be better the second time around. Right now though my confidence is low.

And the odd thing is this guy has 90 five star reviews on Google, is located right near the Tesla showroom so he has done loads of Tesla's.

Maybe he had a new installer, I dont know.

Lets see

thank you everyone.

Agree with every one

Hand cut one piece costs more to install on a car.

But the template film is easier to install. Pre cut from the computer. Installs with a Seam on the lip. The fender portion looks odd as there shouldn’t be another seam there
So if they hand cut, should the film still be wrapped UNDER the hood?

It seems my film does not wrap under and is installed just to the edge. You can kind of see it in this picture.

thanks

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 215

It seems my film does not wrap under and is installed just to the edge. You can kind of see it in this picture.

thanks

Hand cut film”done right” is seamless.
Template should be wrapped under. But there’s Amazon template film vs brand name film that has correct dimensions

Sometimes pre cut has small seams to “tuck” the film under

Here is my extra cut they use to wrap the ppf under the hood. Basically removing a bit of film so it doesn’t bunch up. Excuse the dirt. This install is done by a mobile service with pre cut xpel.

Budget install compared to my other car that’s hand cut and tucked. There’s no seams but cost nearly double.

Attachments

• 74C46A20-3F87-4712-8487-C3C652E8C09E.jpeg
    74C46A20-3F87-4712-8487-C3C652E8C09E.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 215

thanks

I would get your money back and go to a different installer. The film should be wrapped around the edges of the hood, and it will also be wrapped on the front fenders and bumper on those sides that meet the hood area. When the job is done properly you can barely tell there is any film on the car.