TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about Quick Connection Phone Dock

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by badlydrawnboy, Sep 25, 2016.

1. badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy Member

I found installation instructions here: Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock

Thing is, even after installing correctly the lightning phone connector has some "play" moving back and forth, so in order to connect my phone I have to push the male lightning connector back with one finger while I slide the phone down along the side guides with the other hand. Here is a picture:

IMG_20160607_222858.jpeg

Not sure if this is normal?

2. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

Mine is pretty rigid. There's a LITTLE play but not enough to impede me from quickly plugging my phone in. Used it for an iPhone 6S and now a 7+.

3. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

If you pick up the rubber floor, is there any play left beneath the two screws that allow the connector to be adjusted forwards and backwards? Can you move the connector all the way forward (seems to fit naked phones well)

4. badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy Member

Thank you. I thought the problem was the play in the connector housing itself, because there wasn't any play beneath the two screws. However, there was a little space so I unscrewed them and pushed the connector all the way forward and now if fits my "naked" phone well!

5. mhw23

mhw23 Member

With the "Plus" iPhones, the guides on either side cannot be installed since the phone is too wide, correct?

6. badlydrawnboy

badlydrawnboy Member

No, they provide two different sizes of guides: one works with 6/6s/7, the other works with 6+/7+.

7. mhw23

mhw23 Member

I tried the skinnier ones for the larger phone and it doesn't work because I use a case with my phone.

8. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

I use the Apple leather case on my 7 Plus. The DS installed it without the guides. One quick acceleration and the phone snapped the lightening adaption completely off. After I replaced the cable, I installed a single guide (left or right is your preference) and it provides enough support that the phone to not break the adaptor. I don't know if that will work for all phone cases but it solved my problem...

Chris

• Like x 1