TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Question about rear bumper removal

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rahs, May 13, 2017.

1. rahs

rahs Member

Yes, I'm an idiot. I rubbed up against a wall causing damage the to the paint in the rear as well as on the rear bumper. (See photo).

I went by some highly rated body shops today to get a couple of quotes and to discuss with them. In order to fix the rear bumper they'll need to remove it? Correct? That's what one shop said. The other didn't mention but I assume they would need to as well.

He said he would remove it but not disconnect the sensors. Is this easy for them to do? I don't know how the sensors are placed in the bumper so I'm worried that if one gets out of whack during their process it could screw up AP or anything else the sensors are used for.

Should I be worried or just trust these guys who, as mentioned, are highly rated, do good quality work and have many years of body shop experience? Also, should I ask for something in writing that if it does screw up AP that they are responsible. If that is even possible.

Attached Files:

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

Sensors disconnect very easily when removing the bumper from the rest of the car, there is a single connector for all rear sensors IIRC (I took my bumper off a couple of times when installing a radar detector under in the bumper). If they need to remove the sensors from the plastic though, that may be a bit more involved than a simple connector but a pro shop should know hot to do that - plenty of cars have parking sensors. Btw, it looks like your damage is not just bumper, but also fender panel.

3. rahs

rahs Member

Yea, the area above the bumper I know they'll have no problem repairing. Just worried about where the sensors are located.

This is not a certified Tesla body shop (I don't want to pay twice as much) but you're probably right that other cars have sensors so they should know what they're doing.

4. troypercival

troypercival Member

Yes, if the shop doesn't removed the bumper it will be buff and touch up which the scratch is probably too big for touch up. But removing a Tesla bumper would increase your repair cost by more than a thousand

5. Dr. Smoke

Dr. Smoke My former name was Edmond. Before that, Quantum`.

The sensors are not adjustable, and just snap in/out.

They should remove the bumper cover and the sensors from it to do a proper prep and respray.

Ain't no thing, unless they forget to plug them back in.