Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about RED color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, long-timer lurker, first time poster, as I'm trying to decide on the details before my MY order. My question is about the RED color. The Grey, Black, and Blue colors are an extra $1000, but Red is an extra $2000. On the order page it says that Red is a "multi-coat", a designation absent from the other colors. I'm not sure what "multi-coat" means compared to the other non-multi-coat colors. I assume this means an extra coat of paint. Why do the other colors not get this?

I wanted red but oxidation issues are a killer. I live in Florida and red can die pretty quickly here. There is a red M3P in the neighborhood and the shine has already started to fade from that apple. The guy is very meticulous about his cars. The M3 is his daily driver. The weekend car is a white Ferrari. His wife drives a white P100D. Someone is always over detailing his cars but the red M3 is the one that won't fit in the garage with the other toys. So it has been dealing with the sun for some time now.

So based his red decaying, I went with white. We'll see how it holds up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stacyopolis
I wanted red but oxidation issues are a killer. I live in Florida and red can die pretty quickly here. There is a red M3P in the neighborhood and the shine has already started to fade from that apple. The guy is very meticulous about his cars. The M3 is his daily driver. The weekend car is a white Ferrari. His wife drives a white P100D. Someone is always over detailing his cars but the red M3 is the one that won't fit in the garage with the other toys. So it has been dealing with the sun for some time now.

So based his red decaying, I went with white. We'll see how it holds up.
How does he wash the car? From what I've seen, most of the cars I've seen that lose their luster, and/or start peeling, is always the ones that don't hand wash. The detergents they use at automatic washes, particularly touchless washes, are very harsh for your paint.

This guy NEVER takes any of his cars to a car wash. He typically has a detailer come to his house and detail the 2 Teslas and the Ferrari. At least that is what I see about every 2 weeks. Maybe he hits a car wash when out, that I don't know.

I can tell you our beater car (Ford PHEV) has gone through a car wash pretty much every week of its life since 2014 (100k+ miles) and the paint is still amazing. It is a deep electric blue color. It had 3 winters in a really bad state and a lot of desert driving with intense sun and now in Florida with intense sun.

I call as I see it, Tesla's paint is definitely not up to par with most companies out there. Hopefully, that will improve. If people rejected enough cars it would get their attention. So I am definitely playing it safe with the white color.