Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about removing charger from car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal? My iPhone key is set to automatically lock car. After charging overnight, I cannot remove charger from car without unlocking car. But, iPhone will not automatically unlock car. Is it normal to have to use App to unlock car to be able to remove charger? Thanks in advance!

Is this normal? My iPhone key is set to automatically lock car. After charging overnight, I cannot remove charger from car without unlocking car. But, iPhone will not automatically unlock car. Is it normal to have to use App to unlock car to be able to remove charger? Thanks in advance!
It is normal to unlock car before removing Charger. This prevents someone removing charger while parked.

It is not normal to have to open app to unlock car. Try rebooting car first. Then try rebooting phone.

The Tesla app will let you unlock the charging port without unlocking the car.

This is not normal. Even if the car is sleeping, you should be able to press and hold the charge handle button and the lock will release. But this will only occur if your phone key is detected in the vicinity, I believe, if the car is locked. And phone key detection can be unreliable of course. But in general assuming all the conditions are met, it should not be necessary to use your phone, you just need it with you, if the car is locked. Effectively you are unlocking the car I suppose. But not explicitly so.

One thing you cannot do is use the charge handle button to open the charge port door, if the car is sleeping. (Different situation than you describe.) This is rarely a problem, though, if you just plug in when you get home. It can be quite annoying and requires a door handle push to wake the car up if not, though. If the car happens to be awake the button on the charge handle will work fine!

Last edited:
The phone uses Bluetooth to communicate with the car for walk away lock and walk up unlock. If the phone has turned off Bluetooth then the car will not allow you to remove the charging cord from the car.
as an aside I have noticed that when I remove the charge cord in the morning, the car unlocks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H