Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about replaced fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my key fob (#1) replaced a few weeks ago under warranty (fob would not get recognized unless I removed/reinserted coin battery). The first thing I noticed was that the new fob was named #3 instead of #1 but other than that, the fob worked fine. I linked my profile to this new fob. However, after an update a couple of days ago, whenever I get into the X, the seats start adjusting to my wife's profile which is linked to fob #2. It doesn't always do this but often does. I'm definitely using my fob because I using different colored silicone cases for each fob. I'm pretty sure there's a new bug but my question is for anyone who had to replace a fob, what did they name it?

For now, I unlinked my wife's profile from her fob (she doesn't drive the X anyway) and I also rebooted. I haven't been able to verify whether this fixed anything yet.

Just a follow up. A few days after rebooting, I paired fob #2 with my wife’s profile again and sure enough, the problem with fob #3 activating my wife’s profile returned. So I’ll leave my wife’s profile unpaired for now. Again, this only become an issue after the latest software update.

Just a follow up. A few days after rebooting, I paired fob #2 with my wife’s profile again and sure enough, the problem with fob #3 activating my wife’s profile returned. So I’ll leave my wife’s profile unpaired for now. Again, this only become an issue after the latest software update.
Neat that you've reproduced it. Might be worth reporting to service next time you're in anyway if you're under warranty. Just out of curiosity, is fob #3 associated with your profile when this happens, or simply not associated to a profile at all? I ask because I wonder if associating it with your profile could resolve the issue.

Neat that you've reproduced it. Might be worth reporting to service next time you're in anyway if you're under warranty. Just out of curiosity, is fob #3 associated with your profile when this happens, or simply not associated to a profile at all? I ask because I wonder if associating it with your profile could resolve the issue.
Yes, fob #3 is linked to my profile.

I am a new owner for two months of a 2018 X. The battery in the fob had to be replaced which I did but it won't activate the car. What should I do?
Please be more specific. What do you mean by "it won't activate the car." The fob has many functions and different mechanisms are used depending on the location of the fob. Some require a good battery, others do not. Also does your other fob work ok?

Please be more specific. What do you mean by "it won't activate the car." The fob has many functions and different mechanisms are used depending on the location of the fob. Some require a good battery, others do not. Also does your other fob work ok?
Yes, my other fob works. The secondary fob's battery ended so I replaced the battery successfully but now the fob will not engage the car. Is there a sync function? Probably! I will try to sync the fob with the car at the computer inside the car....

Yes, my other fob works. The secondary fob's battery ended so I replaced the battery successfully but now the fob will not engage the car. Is there a sync function? Probably! I will try to sync the fob with the car at the computer inside the car....
I'd bet your battery is defective. But are you sure you used a 2354 battery? Other Teslas use the much more common 2032. But the 2354 is double the thickness of the 2032. You probably cannot buy one at your local Walmart or Target. AFAIK, there is no sync with the car functionality required.

Assumption, that you have already followed the instructions in the user guide that explains how to link the key to a profile?
If not, try resetting both keys but make sure you only have ONE key within range of the car while you are resetting it.
(I tried to paste the pertinent paragraphs but for some reason it did not work. Go to “profiles” in your search and you can find it.”
Trying to post it, if I can figure how.

Last edited:
Got it!

You can link a driver profile to a specific key fob to allow Model X to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key fob is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key fob, enter Model X with the key fob and touch the driver profile icon at the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile you would like to link to the key fob, then touch Link to Key Fob.
Note
Model X detects only one key fob at a time. The driver profile is linked to the key fob that is detected by the vehicle at that time. Therefore, if you want to link driver profiles to multiple key fobs, ensure that only the key fob that you would like to link the driver profile to is within detection range while performing the linking procedure. Move all other key fobs outside of the detection range (at least three feet (one meter) away from Model X).
Note
Model X can support up to eight linked key fobs. However, a driver profile can only be linked to one key fob.
To remove the link between a driver profile and key fob, touch the driver profile icon at the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile, then touch the X next to Linked to Key Fob.