Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about road conditions driving up to Tromsø in November

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tspr

Oct 25, 2019
CH
Hallo everyone!

I am on my way to Norway for a road trip (the second time now :)) right now.
We don't have a fixed route planned, but one of the options would be to drive all the way up to Tromsø (from Oslo - Lillehammer - Trondheim). If not, we will stay in the southern region.

I have proper winter tires mounted but unfortunately the snow chains that I've ordered didn't arrive in time and I don't have any on me. I am used to drive on snow, but I have no idea how the conditions will be up there at this time.

Would be awesome if anyone could tell me how far up north I should be able to drive with just normal winter tires, right now in the beginning of November.
Or any tips for a shop that will sell me chains or whatever gear I might would be appreciated as well :).

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Cheers, Tom

Tromsø no problems. You usually don't need snow chains in Norway unless you try to cross a mountain in a snow storm or go far from the main roads. Assuming you have proper winter tires to begin with.

I live in southern Norway and have never used snow chains and I cross the mountains from western to eastern Norway several times in the winter.

If the weather gets too bad the mountain roads close. Then use your GPS to find a different route - or follow detour signs. Or ask for help finding another road to drive at a petrol station.

I know mountain passes in Northern Norway ie Kongsfjordfjellet get closed from time to time. But if I wanted to go there I would not bother bringing snow chains. Rather I would look at the weather forecast and only cross the mountains if it's not storm weather.

If you know you are visiting a remote cabin out in no mans land the situation is different. And you should bring snow chains.

TL;DR: If you drive on main roads and check the weather reports you'll be fine.

@Christine600 Thank you as well for the reply, another related question. We are now in the south of Norway (close to Kristiansand) and planning our way to our rented cabin on the Lofoten island close to Leknes. Which supercharge route would you suggest? I've seen some through Lillehammer and Dombas, although Google suggested another route through Alvdal (E3). Any advice would be highly appreciated as we want to start driving early next week. We planned for ±5 days on the road so we can take it easy. If you know good places to stop/sleep also highly appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your quick replay. I didn't get a notification so sorry for responding quite late. I'd prefer the most safe route in this time of year haha, so we're now thinking on:

Day 1: Kristiansand-Lillehammer
Day 2: Lillehammer - Trondheim
Day 3: Trondheim - Mo I Rana
Day 4: Mo I Rana - Bodo -> Lofoten

Do you think this is feasible with the winter road conditions?