Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about S85 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an older (pre-AP) 85 as a loaner (my normal car is a P85D). I was surprised at how slow the acceleration was especially in the <~35mph range. Is that because of traction limitations with 2wd? It felt about the same as my P85D with Valet mode enabled. As I got past 35mph it felt much more powerful. I tried turning off traction control but no change.

I've also had a loaner 85D and that one felt surprisingly quick compared to my P85D.

Your P85D is always in a sort of Fast-Valet mode. I don't think the S85 needed traction control not to slip in a straight line, but the P85 will break lose, even near 30mph if traction control is off. All the AWD cars lose the 'Traction Control - Off' feature. I don't know if 85D / 90D are as abrupt as the P85D, but step on the pedal in a turn and you'll sometimes find there's nothing there. What's ordinarily a dangerous "no no" for non-"performance" drivers, instead has been over-compensated for (ala Valet). And it isn't traction limits, if what follows centering the steering wheel is this rush of power. All I know is It's not lineal and feels kind of stupid, when you don't move your right foot and the car suddenly accelerates.

Last edited:
I just had an older (pre-AP) 85 as a loaner (my normal car is a P85D). I was surprised at how slow the acceleration was especially in the <~35mph range. Is that because of traction limitations with 2wd? It felt about the same as my P85D with Valet mode enabled. As I got past 35mph it felt much more powerful. I tried turning off traction control but no change.

I've also had a loaner 85D and that one felt surprisingly quick compared to my P85D.

I felt the same way. I was considering a RWD plain 85 for the larger frunk and other advantages, but it was just a little too slow for me. The 85D hit a nice sweet spot...

It's not traction limited. The P85 has the same rear motor and is considerably faster off the line. Not only that, the only difference is software as WK057 has already proven by turning an S60 into a P85 with a regular 85 battery.

Vbox and power graph for an S85:

Playing around with VBOX Sport.... 0-60 times...

I've had my P85DL in valet mode and it's considerably slower than an S85.