Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 P90DL 27000 miles, with MCU 1 and the Emmc recall completed.
The symptoms I am seeing existed before the emmc replacement and were falsely attributed to that.
What are all the things that a failing SD card impacts?
I have a multi state trip to relocate my car and I would like the maps working.

What I am seeing is that certain maps (especially around home) fail to load. The energy usage graph on the drivers display is wrong / not working. Car seems to take forever to wake up (forever = 2min +).

I have an appt to upgrade to MCU2 but it has been pushed 3 times already and support even said they do not have SD cards when I tried to get that done in liu of the MCU 2.

It sounds like you have a failing EMMC/SD card.

Your concerns are well-founded.

State your risk clearly-symptoms of impending EMMC failure, a big trip planned, you don’t want to be stranded with a bricked car.

No way to prove it, there’s a chance your replacement MCU already had a marginal EMMC. It could have been removed from a Tesla during its MCU upgrade, wiped down with Windex, bench-tested to boot up and added to parts inventory.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah my 2013 model s has same issue, i dont understand why its 250 for them to replace this, why is there no software option in the tesla to delete map data so we can clear the sd card and reuse it
The problem is that these old SD cards were not designed to be in hot and cold environments, and not meant to be rewritten constantly over and over again. The SD card had a very limited life expectancy in the environment of a Tesla. Much less than the life expectancy of the car. New SD cards, particularly the "endurance" SD cards, have been designed to last 10 years and can be rewritten for Dashcam and other rewrite intensive applications. They should not wear out, unless it just breaks down (electronics, physical, etc.) -- which can happen. Most have a ten+ year warranty. The old SD cards generally had a 1 year warranty. Any time you are in the area of an older Tesla's MCU, the NAV SD card should be replaced if it has not already been done. It will fail.

The problem is that these old SD cards were not designed to be in hot and cold environments, and not meant to be rewritten constantly over and over again. The SD card had a very limited life expectancy in the environment of a Tesla. Much less than the life expectancy of the car. New SD cards, particularly the "endurance" SD cards, have been designed to last 10 years and can be rewritten for Dashcam and other rewrite intensive applications. They should not wear out, unless it just breaks down (electronics, physical, etc.) -- which can happen. Most have a ten+ year warranty. The old SD cards generally had a 1 year warranty. Any time you are in the area of an older Tesla's MCU, the NAV SD card should be replaced if it has not already been done. It will fail.
Thanks for that info, so your saying if i update this, i wont have to ever again unless it breaks physiclly or some other error not in regards to sd card itself failing for memory issues?

I still think thats a fix that tesla should honor. This is somethint to be expected when using sd cards and should have been caught before production

Tesla would likely replace it under the warranty or extended warranty if it was still in effect, but it seems you got pretty good life expectancy of the card that was installed at the factory. They may be still be replacing the SD card with another standard, non-endurance card. The difference in cost for the endurance card is not significant. Even the new standard cards should last longer, but still are not designed for the temperature extremes and environment of a car. They may, however, last as long or longer than the one in your car currently has done.

Tesla would likely replace it under the warranty or extended warranty if it was still in effect, but it seems you got pretty good life expectancy of the card that was installed at the factory. They may be still be replacing the SD card with another standard, non-endurance card. The difference in cost for the endurance card is not significant. Even the new standard cards should last longer, but still are not designed for the temperature extremes and environment of a car. They may, however, last as long or longer than the one in your car currently has done.
Ill try to open it myself and then get tbe card from tesla

Ill try to open it myself and then get tbe card from tesla
From what I have read, you can buy an endurance SD card and replace it yourself. It came with a 16GB, and I would put in a 32 GB. There are YouTube videos. If you can get to the MCU, it is in a slot on the right side I think. You press the SD card and it pops out, but I think there is a tape over it, and it is difficult to get to get out, and put the new one in. If you fail, you may need to remove and disassemble the MCU to get to it. My understanding is the new card will format itself and built the proper data and structure over several days if you connect to wifi overnights. I personally would probably pay the $250 just for convenience. Good luck. Maybe someone who has done this can chime in.

I replaced mine today with the Tesla pre-loaded 16GB SanDisk Industrial SD. My car has an original MCU in a 2014 MS, 111k miles. Also, it’s downloading a 2022 Nav data update file now, after never completing the 2021 update last month. Here’s the new SD from Tesla.

Attachments

• F0EC5A63-EF2C-4B74-ABAB-E03ADE707F73.jpeg
    F0EC5A63-EF2C-4B74-ABAB-E03ADE707F73.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 110
I had the same issues as OP and Tesla insisted to get the eMMC recall done. Although all other aspects did improved the maps just did not downloaded at all. At the end Tesla fixed this with change of internal configuration to accommodate navigation data and now all the new maps will be saved on cars internal memory. SD card was removed for good.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I replaced mine today with the Tesla pre-loaded 16GB SanDisk Industrial SD. My car has an original MCU in a 2014 MS, 111k miles. Also, it’s downloading a 2022 Nav data update file now, after never completing the 2021 update last month. Here’s the new SD from Tesla
How much was this card from Tesla? Did you walk into a service center or buy it online?
I can't seem to find one preloaded as you have.