Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about service center issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYP 2022 built in Fremont.

When the parcel shelf came out I decided I wanted to install that in my car because the aftermarket one is simply not flawless.

I got all of the part numbers for the Texas parcel shelf install and I asked Tesla to order them and if they could install it for me. ( Installation has been done by Tesla service centers all over the country. )

In fact, with the service order I sent a picture of an invoice with the parts numbers and what I wanted done from another member here at TMC…

Enter the Rockville Maryland Tesla service Center:

Today I wasted four hours of my time going back-and-forth to Tesla in order to have the parts installed that they claim were ordered and ready for me.

What I came to realize was that the service center told me that they could not install the Texas parts in my MYP because they were not meant for that car. However, when I went to the service center to pick up the parts that were supposed to be there so that I could install them myself, they didn’t have the parts because they never ordered them; some loser at Tesla decided to ignore the specific parts that I requested and ordered whatever parts they wanted to order. (I was very clear about what I was doing and why I was doing it and what I needed in the service request.)

later it dawned on me that the service center told me they couldn’t install non-model appropriate parts into my car because in fact they hadn’t ordered the parts I requested.

in other words, the service center lied to me and in theory Tesla itself because they had goofed on ordering the parts; in an attempt to cover their asses for screwing up the parts order and not having what they needed to do the job they came up with a convenient excuse of telling me they couldn’t do it because my model was different for the one in the parcel shelf comes from. (Totally feasible and done all over the place by other service centers, but technically it might be true from a corporate Tesla standpoint.)

I would like to know who I reach out to and Tesla in order to deal with really what are a bunch of liars at one of the service centers? I’ve been dealing with service technicians and one former another for nearly 40 years and I know when someone’s playing a game or trying to cover their butt… Once I have the parts in hand I want to make sure that someone gets their knuckles banged on…

This is absolutely a “we screwed up and we have to figure out how to cover this up,” type of situation.

My Austin MYP came with paint flaws. At delivery they noted them and told me to just make an appointment and they will correct. I made the appointment for September 26, dropped off the car and it still has had NOTHING done to it. I am irate and although I did receive a call from them after several messages left in the app, they basically told me to call the collision center where they took the car after a week of waiting for nothing. The collision center told me Tesla would not approve for them to paint the front fender and bumper so they could blend the paint as the one paint challenge was a color mismatch between the bumper and the fender. I am now back at sending messages in the app and I have no car to drive. Had I known this was how their service worked I would not have taken delivery.

Yep. I'm fairly pissed off about this. Their comms as crappy, and I now have an example of them canceling service and blaming it on the customer, as opposed to their failure to order parts.

I've had about 6 service appointments thus far for the MYP. Whereas my M3LR was totaly fine and I never had an issue... so never needed these guys / experienced the run around.

I'm sorely tempted to take it to VA / Tysons.

I got a request for an eval of the service appointment (went and picked up the parts two days ago)...

Let's just say that I was not kind and understanding. I basically detailed out my suspicions and the appointment / massive waste of my time. (...and frankly they service people clearly don't like their jobs / are unhappy - which is likely compounded by them screwing up.)

I've set an appointment for a mobile visit to replace the lower c-pilars in my trunk space. I guess we'll see how that goes.

Rob from the Rockville, MD service center is awful. Any chance he was the primary interface between you and the service center? I dealt with him today and I could not believe how openly rude and hostile he behaved toward me (in front of other customers, who actually defended me) as a customer experiencing significant Model 3 manufacturer warranty issues. He lied to my face multiple times. I'm sure when my warranty runs out in 20 days they'll finally find the cause of the issues.

I recommend you write a Google review of your experience at that specific service center and call out the unprofessional/offending employee(s) by name. I've worked in consumer insights and brand management. Google reviews get attention. At least they do for a company that cares even a bit about its brand. Not sure if Tesla does.