Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Slime and Tire Foam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new MYP and had it in for service because someone ran into me already. Anyhow, I was talking with one of the guys in the body shop and he said the tires had foam in them. I bought one of those Slime Kits that someone had recommended but the guy at the shop said they probably won't work because of the foam in the tire. Has anyone tried the tire Slime and does it work?

There is foam so I wouldn't think those fix a flat bottles would work. I picked up a tire repair kit that comes with plugs. I keep that in my trunk along with a portable inflator.

Picture below is the 19inch continental for reference.

PXL_20210618_201851212.jpg

Slime claims it will work because there’s enough pressure to push to goo through the foam to the actual issue. I could see if the nail/screw/whatever didn’t puncture through the foam or something, but I don’t know enough about the substance to know how it might penetrate. I could see it damaging the foam though, or at least making it a disaster to clean up, so maybe it ruins the tire when compared to just plugging it?

The “official” Tesla kit has some apparently-similar sealant, so I would think that it might work at least some of the time.

Reactions: DanDi58