Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had software update 2020.40.3 and then last night I received 2020.40.8. Why did I skip 2020.40.7 and just go straight to 2020.40.8?

I understand that 2020 is the year and 40 is the week...what does the last number mean and what happened to 2020.40.4,5,6 etc.?

It's fairly standard software release practice. The 40 stands indeed for the week number, and the last number (.7/.8) stands for 'minor' or bugfix release. So 2020.40 would be a 'major' release, and the .3/.4/.7/.8 should be all 'minor'/bugfix releases with small additions/fixes to the 'major' release without introducing major new functionality.

In most cases there's no need to update to intermediate releases, as you noticed. There will be some kind of compatibility table internally that dictates from which older version you can update directly to the latest. So it's possible that in some scenario you can't go immediately e.g. from 2020.11.1 to 2020.40.8, but need to update to some intermediate version (or multiple versions) in between.

Also, those minor releases will not always be released, e.g. if they fail the internal testing process, that's why e.g. 2020.40.5 may never be out in the wild.

Basically, Tesla does not download every release to every car. Each airwave download is specific to an individual vehicle. They are far enough into the software that they do not have major issues that require "emergency" release to the fleet.

Be happy that you got the latest (.8) release as soon as you did....I'm still on .3 until my turn comes up on the Tesla server.