Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about stereo system in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you ever figure out the lack of bass in the MYP? I picked up an MY LR last week and compared to the 2018 LR M3, it quite lacking in lows. Just doesn’t sound as dynamic and full as well.
I have not. It feels very song and volume dependent. The sub is back there and will move some air, but it doesn't consistently hit like I prefer, especially not at low or moderate volumes. I'm not someone who has ever had any serious aftermarket subs or unrealistic expectations about car audio. An 8" powered sub in my acoustically horrible Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a soft top delivers more than enough. The sub in the B&O system in my old Audi S3 was also perfectly sufficient for me. I love my Y, but the subwoofer is pretty mediocre compared to just about everything else about the vehicle. I'm just not sure I want to do any upgrades that are not plug and play.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have not. It feels very song and volume dependent. The sub is back there and will move some air, but it doesn't consistently hit like I prefer, especially not at low or moderate volumes. I'm not someone who has ever had any serious aftermarket subs or unrealistic expectations about car audio. An 8" powered sub in my acoustically horrible Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a soft top delivers more than enough. The sub in the B&O system in my old Audi S3 was also perfectly sufficient for me. I love my Y, but the subwoofer is pretty mediocre compared to just about everything else about the vehicle. I'm just not sure I want to do any upgrades that are not plug and play.
I installed an aftermarket JL audio 12” sub in the rear cavity of my M3. Sounds incredible! The sub housing is just short of half the thickness of the cavity with a grill top so still have usable room for storage. Makes a HUGE diff in lows and moderate.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
I installed an aftermarket JL audio 12” sub in the rear cavity of my M3. Sounds incredible! The sub housing is just short of half the thickness of the cavity with a grill top so still have usable room for storage. Makes a HUGE diff in lows and moderate.
Coming from all ICE vehicles until now, I've always added at least a sub and amp to all my rides. This obviously requires a 12v power source which is not the native voltage of the power plant. How does tesla do with 12v power for stuff like that?

I will probably do the same on the Y. It seems ‘gutless’ with that 8” stick sub.

A 2018 M3 LR I had was way more crisp and even the front speakers pounded as much as the rear. The bass on that M3 dwarfs the 2021 MY LR. Tesla is known for slowly reducing sound components and software limitation on equalizers etc over time. Wouldn’t be surprised if they reduced down power output for their amps in order to help with posting higher ranges on the latest cars.