Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about the Model 3 cupholders.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi y'all! I have a random question about the Model 3 cupholders. For those who use those insulated tumblers/mugs, what are the brands and/or size of tumbler do you guys use that fits in the cupholders?

I recently placed an order for the Model 3 and this was something I completely overlooked during my test drives and research. Right now, I have this abnormally shaped Yeti insulated tumbler that does not fit in most cars, but somehow fits in one cupholder in my current car. I do enjoy drinking a lot of cold and hot drinks out of my tumbler, while going on drives.

Any advice and or tips would be awesome!

I measured my front cupholder and it appears to be 3.21" in diameter at the top and an estimated 3.0" at the bottom. I say that as it appears it tapers in slightly and my digital caliper doesn't have long enough arms to get to the bottom.

Awesome! Thank you for that measurement. That’s quite helpful. Greatly appreciated!
Here's more... I thought about how to accurately measure the diameter at the bottom of the cupholder and that is what I found:

cupholder_3.00.jpg

I decided to print out circles, cut them out and place them inside the cupholder. I misjudged the initial estimation of 3.00"; it's more like 2.95" (I didn't think to print smaller than 3").

cupholder_3.05.jpg

A 3.05" diameter circle makes it down until it's about a 1/3 of the way from the bottom.

cupholder_3.10.jpg

A 3.10" diameter circle makes to down a 1/3 of the way (2/3 from the bottom).

Hope this helps!

edit: I apologize for the messy stain at the bottom of the passenger side cupholder. I think it's some Starbucks Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino from last week.

Last edited:
Hi y'all! I have a random question about the Model 3 cupholders. For those who use those insulated tumblers/mugs, what are the brands and/or size of tumbler do you guys use that fits in the cupholders?

I recently placed an order for the Model 3 and this was something I completely overlooked during my test drives and research. Right now, I have this abnormally shaped Yeti insulated tumbler that does not fit in most cars, but somehow fits in one cupholder in my current car. I do enjoy drinking a lot of cold and hot drinks out of my tumbler, while going on drives.

Any advice and or tips would be awesome!

For anyone looking for a water bottle, I got the Hydro Flask 24 Oz and that fits exactly in the cup holders. Spend some time measuring and looking to find the tightest fitting one and hold the most liquids.

Also keep in mind that the cup does not really have to reach the bottom. If it could go in over half way, the cup would wedge in there nicely. And if you really really want to hold big bottle, you could get one of these like I did. It holds a 32oz Nalgene bottle perfectly!

cupholder.JPG

Reactions: RayK
339927B2-8535-488D-A0FF-B4D893D0DA1F.jpeg
339927B2-8535-488D-A0FF-B4D893D0DA1F.jpeg It still astounds me how tesla made an awesome car, great range, future facing technolo, but neglected the cup holders. Americans want cup holders!!!! Haha

the best car I owned with great cup holders was my gti. Held my coffee tight with automatic grips. My bmw had grips to hold cup but it was somewhat shallow.

My 21 oz hydro flask rattles a little bit. It fits but it’s not held-in.