TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about the Model S charger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by fairlycool, Oct 9, 2011.

1. fairlycool

fairlycool Member

Hey guys,

I have a question about the charging socket that Tesla is using in the Model S. I've seen that its smaller that the regular charging points (the ubiquitous J1772) that we find around the Bay Area. Will the Model S charge from these stations with J1772 sockets? or does it need a new completely different type of charging station?

The reason I ask is because I live in an apartment and plan on charging my Model S at public charging points.

Thanks!

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

We were told that J1772 adapters would be available at release.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I heard the J1772 adapter will be a module, not a cable, and it will lock into the car when inserted. So if someone pulls the J1772 cable they can't take the adapter with them.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I believe that Tesla should have a place in the side of the trunk next to the charge port where all of the "adapters" can be permanently located. Much better than a bag of adapters that bounces about the car or trunk (boot for you britts) while driving!

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tesla are saying on the website that the adapters are included:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3059&d=1318254827.jpg
    plug in.jpg

Nice!

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So both ends of the cable need adapters or would the j1772 adapter be on the end opposite the end that plugs into the vehicle? I'm guessing the wall outlet plugs are adapters too? Just trying to picture this, and plan my garage out

7. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Does someone knows, the charger being air- or liquid cooled?

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

My guess is that the J1772 adapter and home/campground adapters are very different.
    J1772 adapter - just a small stub that plugs into the S charge port, and then the J1772 plug goes into the other side just basically sticking out the side of the car a little bit. No extra cable.

For home use up to 9.6kW ([email protected]) one would use the UMC2, which I gather will be included with every Model S, and use an adapter on the end of the plug end right before it goes into the wall (e.g.: dryer outlet, stove outlet, NEMA14-50, etc.)

If you needed faster home charging then an HPC2 could be installed permanently which (I think) would just have a new Tesla plug on the car end and could do up to 19.2kW charging ([email protected]) assuming you ordered the S with the dual charger option, and have a 100A circuit breaker available.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That's a good question. The onboard charger is located under the rear seats. How much power do you expect gets sunk as heat? (What's the anticipated efficiency?) Given the location, it not obvious that there is a path for proper air cooling. Is it not enough to be thermally anchored to that large aluminum chassis? I suppose it would be possible to add the charger on the motor/inverter cooling loop, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would indicate that was the plan.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I wonder if we will be able to convert the existing HPC's to HPC2's and at least get the 70A that they are able.

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Tesla should investigate this, along with retro-fitting the Roadster with the new charge port. That would enable ALL Tesla cars on the road to use either existing or to-be-rolled-out charging infrastructure.

12. doug

Certainly should be possible, though the Model S connector includes the Proximity signal which the Roadster omits.

13. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

But that can be added through Tom's board.

14. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I sure hope Tesla will start selling parts like a regular car company. The new Tesla connector looks small enough that maybe some old avcon cars could be adapted to use the Tesla inlet. Roadster conversion to the new inlet seems simpler then it would be to J1772. That way the Roadster & Model S owners can have one easy home charger. The more cars which can use the new stuff the better.

15. doug

Sure. I didn't mean to suggest it would be a hurdle. More likely than not, it would just be ignored.

16. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Is there still some federal and/or state tax incentive to installing home chargers?

What if I just want an extra 240v 40A outlet in the garage to use the UMC2? Would the incentive apply?

Thanks

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Might want to ask a Tesla rep that question and see what they say. I don't know the current situation.

18. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I don't think there is Federal (maybe there is) but some states definitely offer incentives AND I think some power companies offer incentives too since you'll be a better customer.

19. tnawara

tnawara Member

I'm sensing heated rear seats in our future...

20. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

On Tesla's website under "Go Electric" -> "Incentives" (linky) it says: