TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about the new Wall Connector

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by David29, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. David29

David29 Member

Question for people who have installed the new style of Wall Connector (AKA HPWC) -- one that has the built-in wire hanger.

How high did you mount it off the ground or floor? I will be installing mine outdoors, in an area subject to snow, so it must be installed high enough to avoid having the cable buried too much in snow. On the other hand, the cable seems to be heavy, and I am an old guy who has had surgery on both shoulders, so I am a bit leery of trying to heave the cable up too high. I was thinking that mounting the WC so that the top of it is at roughly shoulder height or a bit lower would be a reasonable compromise.

I looked at the installation at my nearby Tesla store, and it was fairly low on the wall, with the cable mostly coiled on the floor the day I looked at it. (It is the old style HPWC so there is is a separate cable hanger about 3 ft off the floor.) So that wasn't very representative -- indoors in a delivery center, they have no need to worry about stowing the cable on the hook to keep it out of mud/snow/rain as I will.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!

(This is a duplicate of a post in the Sticky for HPWC in the Model S forum, because I wanted to catch both Model S and X owners who may have used the new WC. Thanks!)

2. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Mine is 3' 10" from the bottom edge of the Wall Connector to the floor. See pictures in this post: What's up with HPWC?. The water hose rack is really nice if you have somewhere to mount it to stow the cable and keep it out of the mud/snow/rain.

3. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I don't have the exact measurements, but mine is approximately 4 feet off the ground so that when it's plugged into the car there is very little that lays on the ground (maybe just a foots worth of cable).

4. David29

David29 Member

Thanks. If that is to the bottom of the unit, the top would be at roughly 5 ft. 3", which is about what I was thinking would be comfortable for me and my partner.

5. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I would rig up a box for that bad boy, that kept the coil off the ground and weather off the whole setup. I can see a big Rubbermaid container with a hole, or a nice wooden box?

• Helpful x 1