Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about the size of the installed Tesla Solar shingles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

does anyone know the size of a tesla solar shingle when it is installed on the roof, i.e., overlapped with other shingles?

The dimensions that are listed in the installation plan are 430 mm height and 1140 mm width, but I assume that when installed the shingle is overlapped with another shingle both from a above and from the size.

This the question is what is the size of the shingle in its overlapped state?

Thank you in advance.

The picture Tesla shows on the solar roof page is the dimension of the exposed area (15" X 45"). The tile is actually taller (around 16"). There is no overlap at the left and right edges. On the side edges there is an underlying drain piece that the sides sit on. Here is a picture of our tiles on the roof.

On the top of each tile there are plastic clips that do 2 tasks. First, it is where they nail the tile onto the roof. Second it connects to a metal clip on the underside of the tile above. Install is screw the tile down and clip it into the tile below's plastic clip. Here are pictures of the top and bottom of the tile so you can see the plastic and metal clips.

If you are interested, you can read my writeup on the Solarglass install at this link. We were one of the 1st 100 Solarglass v3 roofs installed (early 2020), and some details, like the underlayment have changed.

Jboy210,

thank you so much for your info. It is extremely helpful.
I have found out that Tesla is extremely supportive and forthcoming in terms of maximizing solar generation.
They allowed me to work with a roofer to re-arrange the layout of the roof elements (vents, plumbing exhausts) to maximize power generation of the resulting setup.
In my experience, they really listen to customer needs and respond very quickly to all my inquiries.

Jboy210 may I ask you what is your situation with gutters, what happened to your gutters during the installation and did you install new ones after the installation was complete?

Thank you.

may I ask you what is your situation with gutters
This post (and the entire thread) might offer some useful information about solar roof gutters:

Jboy210,

thank you so much for your info. It is extremely helpful.
I have found out that Tesla is extremely supportive and forthcoming in terms of maximizing solar generation.
They allowed me to work with a roofer to re-arrange the layout of the roof elements (vents, plumbing exhausts) to maximize power generation of the resulting setup.
In my experience, they really listen to customer needs and respond very quickly to all my inquiries.

Jboy210 may I ask you what is your situation with gutters, what happened to your gutters during the installation and did you install new ones after the installation was complete?

Thank you.
You are welcome, and great to hear about them be willing to alter the active panels to give you max performance.

Regarding the gutters, at the time we installed, gutters were included in the price. So, they ripped off the old ones and put on the ones we selected. Therefore, I would put the question of when to install the new gutters to Tesla. A year later, we had to pay extra to get gutter guard installed. And I would suggest any Solarroof owner that wants gutter guards have them installed as part of the gutter installation. The roof is slippery when wet and some gutter cleaning and gutter guard installer services will not get on it.

Last edited: